Ameraucana

Btw, my EE chicks are either like brown leghorns or buff/yellow with similar brown or black face markings like eye stripe and dark line on top of head. All have cheek puffs and greenish dark legs, 3 weeks old.

Can anyone tell me what breed this is? My daughter's class hatched out various different eggs and we were wondering it was

Unless you know what color she was hatched from right? I guess not 100% when you look at egg charts but more often than not right? Or am I lost in the sauce?
The color of the egg the chick hatched from does not always dictate what egg color genes a chick inherits. Remember that the rooster will also contribute genes for egg color.

The color of the egg the chick hatched from does not always dictate what egg color genes a chick inherits. Remember that the rooster will also contribute genes for egg color.

Yeah I thought about that while I was typing, hence the second half of the post.... you just got to witness the slow train of thought... I was remembering egg charts as I went... LOL

Yes unfortunately most of the chicks labeled ameraucana at tractor supply, agway, and most feed stores are actually Easter eggers mislabeled as Ameraucanas.
But don't worry, Easter Eggers are great chickens! They usually lay green or blue eggs, come in so many different colors you can get a wonderfully colorful flock :) they are usually more friendly and sweet natured, plus less flighty than true ameraucanas, at least all my Easter Eggers verses pure Ameraucanas we've had turned out this way. They also tend to lay more eggs per week than Ameraucanas.
Granted these are just what I have read and personally experienced, I can't say it's true to every chicken or everyone who's owned them :) so by all means it's more just my experience than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom