Ameraucanas from Meyer

Schroeder

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone bought "Ameraucanas" (EE's no doubt) from Meyer Hatchery and observed the color of their eggs? I have three 1 week old chicks and am wondering about the chances of getting any blue or blue-green eggs when they start laying. I'm concerned I may only get the olive green ones.

I don't have any but a friend picked up some EE's from the feed store (I think they came from Privett) and he was concerned about the same thing but both of the girls lay blue eggs so fingers crossed for you.

If you get green eggs......you will just have to keep getting more til you get blue eggs too
big_smile.png

I had this exact question a few weeks ago since we ordered some from Meyer.. A couple of people said that they had nice blue and green eggs. Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=142733

You probably won't get olive green, since those would come from a cross with a dark brown layer like Marans or Welsummer.
I'm guessing you might get some of those dull brown eggs with a slight green tint (taupe?).. I had a few of those when I had hatchery "ameracaunas" (also known as easter eggers).. I'm thinking I might just try hatching some true ameraucanas so that there's less waiting and wondering
smile.png

We bought three easter eggers from our local feed shop and two have just started laying (1 last week at 23 weeks of age and the other today at 24 weeks of age). The first one lays olive tinted eggs and the other one laid the tiny egg in the photo (her very first egg). Our 1st laying EE has laid 2 double yolkers already and she's only been laying a little over a week.

The photos show two days worth of eggs, that's the reason for 3 EE eggs with only 2 EEs laying.

chickenseggs011.jpg

chickenseggs0062.jpg

The other large double yolker is from our barred rock. She just started laying also - finding 2 huge eggs in one day was awesome.

I love the blue Cackle egg. I'm second guessing my decision, as my DH's only request in the breeds I selected was, "I want some blue eggs!" Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom