Ameraucanas from Meyer

The Ameraucana was the result of selectively breeding what we now know as Easter-eggers until they were uniform in appearance and thus could be standardized, yes. Not all came from McMurray, but the birds that McMurray has would be related to the breed in that they're effectively a branch on the same family tree. What they have that they're claiming are mixed color Ameraucanas, those are actually the result of continuing to breed those ancestral Easter-eggers without that selection toward uniformity. This does not make them Ameraucanas, any more than it makes Barred Rocks the same thing as Dominiques because they are similar in appearance and Dominiques were used to develop Barred Rocks.

As far as determining what's a true Ameraucana versus a mislabeled Easter-egger, beyond correct spelling and price point, Ameraucanas should also always be sold as a variety, not just as Ameraucanas. Blue Ameraucanas, or White Ameraucanas, or Lavender Ameraucanas, as a few examples. When they're not sold as a variety, not uniform in appearance, or worse yet said to lay a variety of egg colors rather than just blue, then they are most assuredly actually Easter-eggers. 🙂
Thanks, I specifically bought Blue (BBS) Ameraucana so I think I got what I intended to buy :)

Ameraucanas should also always be sold as a variety, not just as Ameraucanas. Blue Ameraucanas, or White Ameraucanas, or Lavender Ameraucanas, as a few examples. When they're not sold as a variety, not uniform in appearance, or worse yet said to lay a variety of egg colors rather than just blue, then they are most assuredly actually Easter-eggers.
This ☝
I’d love my EE even if she had a third eye. I’m not a breeder, just like pretty eggs and a bird with attitude.

Ok, I was just making sure I didn't pay $22 for an ee LOL. I love ee's as well but I got the ameraucanas purposely. So far I really like all my Meyer chicks and have been really pleased with how well they've done. So I'm glad their ameraucanas are actually ameraucanas! Thanks!
I actually picked up some Easter Eggers from Meyers, that were pretty pricey. All Easter Eggers aren't the same anymore. But at least they were listed as Easter Eggers LOL I got them in the same order as my Blue (BBS) Ameraucanas. I picked up 2x Fibro Easter Eggers. They're very skittish. And I also bought 2x Frizzled Easter Eggers. Although 1 of the Frizzled Easter Eggers were born with a deformity, and wasn't really frizzled. It failed to thrive and passed away at 6 weeks of age. The one I have left is all white and very frizzled.

I actually picked up some Easter Eggers from Meyers, that were pretty pricey. All Easter Eggers aren't the same anymore. But at least they were listed as Easter Eggers LOL I got them in the same order as my Blue (BBS) Ameraucanas. I picked up 2x Fibro Easter Eggers. They're very skittish. And I also bought 2x Frizzled Easter Eggers. Although 1 of the Frizzled Easter Eggers were born with a deformity, and wasn't really frizzled. It failed to thrive and passed away at 6 weeks of age. The one I have left is all white and very frizzled.
Yeah I saw those. Was just asking about the Blue BBS Ameraucanas. I love EE's too and got some in a color egg assortment.

Yeah I saw those. Was just asking about the Blue BBS Ameraucanas. I love EE's too and got some in a color egg assortment.
This is what I have from the my order from Meyers. More than I wanted to spend on chickens. But very happy with my purchases. Can't wait for them to start laying! LOL

For hens I have:
1x Blue (BBS) Ameraucana
1x Buff Orpington
1x Cream Legbar
1x Rhode Island Red
1x Black Jersey Giant
1x Frizzled Easter Egger
2x Fibro Easter Eggers
2x Black Copper Marans
2x Buff Brahmas
2x Cookies & Cream
And my rooster is a Blue (BBS) Ameraucana.

Sounds like it! Meyer Hatchery is one of the hand full of hatcheries that does have true Ameraucanas and properly labels their Easter-eggers, so if you got them from them, then yes, they're Ameraucanas.
I thought that about Meyer too, but mine was not a true Ameraucana at all. My Buckeye was also a RIR, which could not have been more disappointing. Manager was excellent about reimbursing me the price though, and a portion of shipping.

I thought that about Meyer too, but mine was not a true Ameraucana at all. My Buckeye was also a RIR, which could not have been more disappointing. Manager was excellent about reimbursing me the price though, and a portion of shipping.
Ive had 3 Ameraucaunas all bbs and lots of other chicks with great success from Meyers..the description and pictures from the Ameraucana breeders fits mine very closely. I shared my crested cream legbars on a couple of legbar groups and all said not show quality but better than most hatchery stock.

Ive had 3 Ameraucaunas all bbs and lots of other chicks with great success from Meyers..the description and pictures from the Ameraucana breeders fits mine very closely. I shared my crested cream legbars on a couple of legbar groups and all said not show quality but better than most hatchery stock.
I think there was a new employee working the day my eggs were shipped. 😂 I still love all of the chicks I got. Well, not the RIR. They are pretty hard to love. My least favorite breed.

Back
Top Bottom