Ameraucanas from Meyer

I bought 2 Blue (BBS) Ameraucanas from Meyers. I bought 1 hen and 1 rooster. They look to be true Ameraucanas to me. But I'll let others be the judge of that. They weren't cheap either. LOL They are currently 18 weeks old. The hen hasn't started laying yet, but the rooster is definitely crowing.

Attachments

• 20230108_221427.jpg
    20230108_221427.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230108_221426.jpg
    20230108_221426.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230108_220526.jpg
    20230108_220526.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 19
Perfect I thought they were. I ordered them as ameraucanas (not an assortment) and paid like $22/chick. So assumed they were pure but then saw lots of posts about how it’s hard to find true ameraucanas and was worried. Their legs are the slate color. I will try to get pics in a bit. I have some other chicks that like to hog the spotlight when the phone camera comes out 😂
ah, the lavenders are $40, the bbs are $20, I had to check, I'm sorry.
You do have pures.
Cackle hatchery has purebred too.

They're specific colors. I'll check when I get home to be sure but pretty sure it's Murray McMurray
I have a catalog, too but maybe I’m wrong.
I read in the FAQ on their site where they deny having EE- no mention regarding color, so I assumed. Their blues are higher in price but then so are all of their blue or lavender breed
Here’s my girl from McM…Karen.
She’s a lovely girl, beard, muffs, slate legs, blue-green eggs. I call her an EE just because of the price point. I don’t care on way or another personally but would like yo know that hatcheries are not falsely advertising.

Attachments

• C2B381A2-6209-4326-934E-41F2FF86CBFD.jpeg
    C2B381A2-6209-4326-934E-41F2FF86CBFD.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 21
I read in the FAQ on their site where they deny having EE- no mention regarding color, so I assumed. Their blues are higher in price but then so are all of their blue or lavender breed
She’s a lovely girl, beard, muffs, slate legs, blue-green eggs. I call her an EE just because of the price point. I don’t care on way or another personally but would like yo know that hatcheries are not falsely advertising.
That coloring is a common EE coloring. They claim that the birds will all have muffs, jot all will have beards and that 1 in 300 eggs will not be blue.

They say it's a mixed color flock too. The chance of not blue eggs is what I think breaks the line between an EE and Ameraucana. Possibly the beards too. I don't know if those are a breed specific thing or if some just don't have them anyways

Last edited:
McMurray has ee, based on colors. The have blue ameracauna but they don't look quite right. They used to have purebred, 10 years ago.
Unless I was planning on breeding them, I don't especially care if they're pure or not.

ah, the lavenders are $40, the bbs are $20, I had to check, I'm sorry.
You do have pures.
Cackle hatchery has purebred too.
Ok, I was just making sure I didn't pay $22 for an ee LOL. I love ee's as well but I got the ameraucanas purposely. So far I really like all my Meyer chicks and have been really pleased with how well they've done. So I'm glad their ameraucanas are actually ameraucanas! Thanks!

I Ordered an assortment of colored egg layersand got a cream legbar and a blue Ameraucana. Both of which were available for the hatch date which had a pretty limited availability..my eggers were all specialty eggers..all matched with availability and all match descriptions from both meyers and elsewhere...heck mya Dopt me was a lovely welsummer..
I Ordered for a Dec delivery and really only had a small number of specialty birds available so I lucked out

The Ameraucana was the result of selectively breeding what we now know as Easter-eggers until they were uniform in appearance and thus could be standardized, yes. Not all came from McMurray, but the birds that McMurray has would be related to the breed in that they're effectively a branch on the same family tree. What they have that they're claiming are mixed color Ameraucanas, those are actually the result of continuing to breed those ancestral Easter-eggers without that selection toward uniformity. This does not make them Ameraucanas, any more than it makes Barred Rocks the same thing as Dominiques because they are similar in appearance and Dominiques were used to develop Barred Rocks.

As far as determining what's a true Ameraucana versus a mislabeled Easter-egger, beyond correct spelling and price point, Ameraucanas should also always be sold as a variety, not just as Ameraucanas. Blue Ameraucanas, or White Ameraucanas, or Lavender Ameraucanas, as a few examples. When they're not sold as a variety, not uniform in appearance, or worse yet said to lay a variety of egg colors rather than just blue, then they are most assuredly actually Easter-eggers. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom