Ameraucanas - pullets or roos? (fingers crossed!)

remarkikkin

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
Berkeley, CA
I'm new to this and could use your collective expertise! 8 weeks ago we got three ameraucanas, two silkies and a RIR. Trying to figure out their sex now. We thought one of the Ameraucanas was definitely male because he was brighter red colored and heaver. After seeing a lot of pictures though, I wonder if he just had bigger, redder parents and could be a she? Here's a pic with all three of them (ignore the silkies for now). The possible roo is the red one in the middle:
3705734445_480d696bce_b.jpg

Here he is up close:
3706543824_e7de1f7983_b.jpg

And here is one of the others up close that we think is a pullet:
3706544000_7f1021577c_b.jpg

What do you think??

I think you have a pullet because the comb development looks the same on all your birds. By eight weeks, you often (not always) start to see slight differences.

Does the suspect have spurs coming in? As for the color, my egg-laying ameraucana is a flaming redhead (with a beard), much like yours. I doubt the color indicates gender in this case.

Also, the tail and cape feathers could yield clues. Maybe you could post photos of the side view of the body showing back and tail differences, if any, with some close-ups on the legs.

EE's can sometimes take until 12 weeks.

Jury is still out for me... one of the three looks like a roo to me at this point... but that could change!

Back
Top Bottom