Ameraucanas: roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VA Raptor, Dec 29, 2014.

1. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    Wondering if you experts could help me sex this bird. Apologies in advance for the crappy cell phone pics.

[​IMG]

He hatched on September 7th. At first we thought he was a boy, now we're not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another mystery sex Ameraucana (apparently my cell phone can't process white birds well):
    [​IMG]

This is my splash rooster, Mr. Crankypus, for comparison.

[​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    From the pictures the first on looks like a pullet. It is a little hard to tell on the second one, but it looks like it could be a pullet.

3. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    Wish I'd stop losing the battery for my regular camera.

Is it possible hard to tell sex on Ameraucanas before they crow/lay? Or should they be clearly male or female at this age? Looks like they all have fuzzy hairs in the hackle/saddle area. Other than that 2 of the 3 questionable chicks look act like pullets.

I made a mistake having a hard to sex breed to start with.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They both look like pullets to me, though I'm less sure about the Splash one.

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I vote hens.
    Pretty little hens.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullets.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they look like pullets. Better comb shots would help, though.

Your splash bird looks to have white legs? That means she's not Ameraucana......

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree both on them being pullets, and the splash not being a true Ameraucana, which have slate blue legs.

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'm not even going to try to go breed specifics. I personally have only had hatchery EEs (Easter Eggers). Yes they can be very hard to sex if you are new to the breed. Males and females tend to have different dominate colors (but not definite) and comb development being the best ways I have see to early sex. Some can be difficult to sex early, but most can be sexed before laying/crowing. I have trouble deciphering sex of white, black, and splash colors regardless of breed. Males will get pointed saddle and hackle feathers and their combs are more defined three rows. The "fuzzy hairs" are not a definite. Sickle shaped tail feathers are signs of a rooster.

10. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by