ameraucana's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zooky, Sep 28, 2013.

1. zooky

zooky New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    I have about 7 ameraucana's they are this yrs pullets and they are really starting to annoy me !!!
    I clipped their wings but they still find ways out of the pen and run all over and perch in the trees
    only two stay in the pen with a rooster that is a silkie can anyone give me any advice at all.
    I also have one barred rock chicken rhode island red and silkies I like my chickens they are lots of fun but not these women ugh!!! and they lay only one egg thats it. same age as all the rest of my chickens who lay lots of eggs

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

Have you clipped wings before? I'm wondering if maybe there's something about the way they are clipped that's not efficient. For instance, they should be clipped only on one side so that they are off balance. If you do a search on wing clipping, you should get some good instruction.

The other thing that I'm wondering about, is how high the sides of the pen are. Or, do they have enough room in the pen to get away from the others?

When you say that they only lay one egg, do you mean that they've only laid one egg ever?

Just some questions that may help clarify the situation...

Good luck!

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Put some deer netting over the pen. It's cheap & you can even go around trees and such if you have them in your pen.

4. zooky

zooky New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    thanks for the advice I only clip one side of the wings but i will try the deer netting that's worth a try thanks for the advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by