1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

amercuana not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henpecked4ever, Apr 14, 2012.

1. henpecked4ever

henpecked4ever New Egg

Dec 18, 2011
    we have 8 hens 5 rhode island reds, 3 light brahams, and 1 amercuana. they are all about 7 months old. the R I R's started laying about a month ago, the Brahams started about 2 weeks ago. the Amercuana has still not laid. she goes through all the motions even sets on the nest and makes loud clucking noises, but no egg. the wife is starting to worry about her. he is a healthy hen, but no eggs, i told her not to worry she would start laying when she gets ready. is this normal for this breed of chicken?

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I don't know if it is normal for that breed, but I've had some pullets that were quite late to start laying. I wouldn't worry about it. She will start when she is ready!

3. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I have had EE's laying at 20 weeks and I have had one start laying at 40:( I have 5 total and 4 of them lay about 5 to 6 eggs a week and one that kinda lays when she feels like it:) Sometimes 2 to 3 a week, she was the one that started laying at 20 weeks, her eggs are still small. eThe later ones are laying like champs and lay a med to large egg. They have been laying since 2nd week in Jan of this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by