American Baptists - I need your input/exprieinces please

It is part of a larger issue many different congregations of different faiths are facing. I recently read something from a Catholic blog about similar things, and I know some Jewish congregations facing issues that are related. The bigger issue is, finding ways to attract and keep new members who have various types of 21st century lifestyles that aren't necessarily in keeping with standard mid 20th century mores. You want those people to join your congregation and modify their behavior to meet your standards; what is the best method, sequence, and approach to do this?

It can get into elaborate discussions of which comes first, the cart or the horse, the chicken or the egg, but keep an eye on the larger picture- do you feel it is important for these people to embrace your faith and for your congregation to embrace them, and if so how do you achieve that without sacrificing your core values or offending your core membership? No easy answers, but it helps to start with the broader questions.

I try to respect everyones' faith and beliefs because I, myself, still find moments when I don't know what or who to believe in. But the Catholic and Scientology religions always leave me scratching my head. I find it hard to understand why one man/woman has the right to dictate how others' should lead their lives.
Unfortunately, it sounds exactly like what this guy is trying to do. Run things according to his perception of the Bible without any regard to how the congregation has been doing things before he came along. It sounds like things were running pretty smoothly before.
I guess I just don't get why he thinks you all should answer to him and not to the Bible or God. Isn't that what Church is all about anyway? A safe place to worship?

Never think you are not worthy! Don't ever think that. You know fully well that He will accept all who accept him. We all have our weak moments and He understands that and you should too. The fact that you are still alive and well and believeing in Him is worthy enough as far as I'm concerned. And I'm pretty sure a certain someone upstairs will agree with me.

If you turn away people looking to get saved ...you're not a good preacher. A man of God wants to help save all the souls he can. Allow these people in your church but never stop teaching the way of God. Those that want to be saved, will get saved. You cannot force people to choose God, they have to come to that conclusion on their own.

If your preacher is up there teaching solidly from the Bible, then those people will either get married, break up or move to another church.

Church isn't about pleasing people, it is about pleasing God. When you please God, real pleasure will come your way.
love.gif

But sometimes my acts are not worthy. But I am forgiven and the new Bi-Occupational preacher will be forgiven as well. I just hope he doesn't chase any new folks away.

Quote:
Keep in mind, he is not turning them away, he is baptising them and welcoming them to worship & learning here . . . . just not be on the membership roll.

Quote:
Keep in mind, he is not turning them away, he is baptising them and welcoming them to worship & learning here . . . . just not be on the membership roll.

If your Baptist church runs like ChickiKat (I think she said Southern Baptist) then it is a slap in the face to those people to not be considered members, yet go through the ritual of becoming a member. It could definitely turn them away for good.

Back
Top Bottom