American Gamefowl

If I were you I wouldn’t get birds from anywhere you’ve got them from in the past. IMO one of the reasons birds are $$ isn’t because of the cost to raise that individual bird. It’s the cost to raise them all and select only the few that are good. When you factor in quite a few years of culling most while only keeping a few the costs add up fast. I know damn well most people hatch and sell all they can. I would run fast from these people. If people are selling birds for cheap on Craigslist etc.. the same applies. They’re looking to recoup money any way they can. I don’t believe they’re doing the best to care for those birds when their end goal is money or even breaking even. I could be wrong but I doubt it.
I agree. It will be a long while before anything comes on my yard

When I first got interested in gamefowl and doing all the research about past breeders I used to think they were crazy for culling their entire yards when they were getting out. I fully understand it now and would do the exact same thing instead of giving birds away. If someone isn’t willing to pay they aren’t willing to take care of them properly either. It’s not hard to tell apart those who half ass everything.
If that isn’t the most honest thing I’ve heard in awhile idk what is that’s the damn honest truth.

When I first got interested in gamefowl and doing all the research about past breeders I used to think they were crazy for culling their entire yards when they were getting out. I fully understand it now and would do the exact same thing instead of giving birds away. If someone isn’t willing to pay they aren’t willing to take care of them properly either. It’s not hard to tell apart those who half ass everything.
I haven't tried to half ass it but I have done some stupid stuff. I can only move forward and hope I'm doing the best

There’s some ol boys up the road that breed the shit out of there birds and look in the sell paper every week there asking 125-250 per bird and I wouldn’t pay for the 22 shell to kill them most people it’s all about the money but a select few and havoc especially keeps quality fowl I was lucky to get what I got from him these birds are top knotch and I couldn’t have asked for much better if these biddys don’t turn out to what I want I’ll cull every one of them the only reason the hen will stay is bc she’s a good momma and good at raising chicks other wise she’d go to the chopping block too. I watched the old man I grew up around culling birds just for not habing
Little traits he wanted but he had damn good birds bc of it in the end

Well the wife talked me into this standard poodle and even though it may take my man card away she is a pretty cool dog and has taken right up to me more than her lol View attachment 2230622
Cool dog man. I knew a guy that duck hunted with one. Standard poodles are tougher than most dogs. How old is she?

I haven't tried to half ass it but I have done some stupid stuff. I can only move forward and hope I'm doing the best
Nah I don’t mean you just in general. To be honest with you I kinda figured this would happen to you though. Over the years you’ve posted new birds pretty often. They were almost all older too. Not that there’s really an issue with it but it’s risky especially if they were coming from multiple people. I never trust anyone to do things the way I do things. Some may do it all better I don’t know but I do know most don’t even come close.

There’s some ol boys up the road that breed the shit out of there birds and look in the sell paper every week there asking 125-250 per bird and I wouldn’t pay for the 22 shell to kill them most people it’s all about the money but a select few and havoc especially keeps quality fowl I was lucky to get what I got from him these birds are top knotch and I couldn’t have asked for much better if these biddys don’t turn out to what I want I’ll cull every one of them the only reason the hen will stay is bc she’s a good momma and good at raising chicks other wise she’d go to the chopping block too. I watched the old man I grew up around culling birds just for not habing
Little traits he wanted but he had damn good birds bc of it in the end
Most of the birds I have are as good as I got them. I haven’t done anything special. I just haven’t ruined them....yet. Lol The majority of the crosses I’ve made are no better than the straight birds I started with. There’s a couple exceptions but not many.

Nah I don’t mean you just in general. To be honest with you I kinda figured this would happen to you though. Over the years you’ve posted new birds pretty often. They were almost all older too. Not that there’s really an issue with it but it’s risky especially if they were coming from multiple people. I never trust anyone to do things the way I do things. Some may do it all better I don’t know but I do know most don’t even come close.
Most birds were coming from a older man that I thought was decent. He has maybe 12 different breeds but more of some then others. I thought alot of him but in the end I let it happen. All I can do now is cull hard and restart in a year or two with whats left or have to cull all and find a more reputable person

Most of the birds I have are as good as I got them. I haven’t done anything special. I just haven’t ruined them....yet. Lol The majority of the crosses I’ve made are no better than the straight birds I started with. There’s a couple exceptions but not many.
Well hopefully I don’t ruin them either if I do the culling will be intense around here lol I know what the two that came from you are and I want them to stay that way lol. The sweater on the other hand is from good stock but he’s a hateful sob sometimes I’m not gonna cross him with anything I’m gonna try to find as pure as I can for him if at all possible but won’t be until next year I’ve got more than my hands full lol

Back
Top Bottom