American Gamefowl

Well the wife talked me into this standard poodle and even though it may take my man card away she is a pretty cool dog and has taken right up to me more than her lol
64818EF4-7769-45EF-9263-72162C99AC6A.jpeg

I have been culling for what sounds to be the same thing. I have no idea as to how it actually got introduced to my flock of young birds that had been moved outside, but it did. Could have been people’s shoes? Wild Birds? Maybe asymptomatic bird that showed no signs in quarantine I purchased from a feed-store? My orphaned niece and nephew are living with us now and they have zero concept of personal hygiene and the dos and don’ts of disease and parasite control... despite my husband and I trying hard to teach them basic hygiene and how not to spread diseases. Total failure of dead side of family to parent... on so many subjects, including the kids missing almost a whole school year... no homeschooling even. When they moved in they were 1 year behind their grade level. I know when it was discovered we had our first sick bird they had touched it and then went and handled lots of other healthy birds before getting me... grumble... I was not happy about that especially after all our discussions on how not to spread disease and parasites.

I only have one adult bird outside, my cranky 5 year old EE hen and she has never shown sign of illness ever. Fight injuries yes, illness no. She is deadly and can not be housed with roosters she attacks them. All our oldest matured cockerels she killed... at first we thought the laying breed boys got into it... nope we caught her attacking one day a cockerel she killed him before we could stop it. She is housed alone now. Dunghill EE hen most dangerous bird in the yard... go figure.

So far I have lost several Old English Game Fowl, Phoenix, Silkies, and Sultans. I finally decided to medicate the flock, not happy about it. I suspect I may loose all the Sultans. The Old English Game Fowl and Silkies seem to be responding to treatment. I will be lucky to save the one Phoenix still alive out there. The Oriental Game, Cornish X, Brahmans, Marans, Polish, various laying breeds like EEs, Sex Links and a few other one off specific multipurpose breeds, the D’Uccle, Oriental Game and the Ayam seem to be healthy though exposed... which is interesting.

I have birds in brooders inside my house that are 100% healthy and not exposed, but no way they can go outside till I get this problem dealt with.

I have been researching my options... but there is no way I want to expose my Black Swedish and Phoenix inside to this.

I may have some ideas based on research papers how to get rid of this out of the flock and preserve some breeding stock... but it’s pretty experimental but I got nothing to loose really by trying.

I am seriously ticked off I finally got the okay from hubby to have Game Fowl and keep some roosters... and this happens.

Dang Nabit
What info have you found to get rid of it? That would be an interesting read.

I have been culling for what sounds to be the same thing. I have no idea as to how it actually got introduced to my flock of young birds that had been moved outside, but it did. Could have been people’s shoes? Wild Birds? Maybe asymptomatic bird that showed no signs in quarantine I purchased from a feed-store? My orphaned niece and nephew are living with us now and they have zero concept of personal hygiene and the dos and don’ts of disease and parasite control... despite my husband and I trying hard to teach them basic hygiene and how not to spread diseases. Total failure of dead side of family to parent... on so many subjects, including the kids missing almost a whole school year... no homeschooling even. When they moved in they were 1 year behind their grade level. I know when it was discovered we had our first sick bird they had touched it and then went and handled lots of other healthy birds before getting me... grumble... I was not happy about that especially after all our discussions on how not to spread disease and parasites.

I only have one adult bird outside, my cranky 5 year old EE hen and she has never shown sign of illness ever. Fight injuries yes, illness no. She is deadly and can not be housed with roosters she attacks them. All our oldest matured cockerels she killed... at first we thought the laying breed boys got into it... nope we caught her attacking one day a cockerel she killed him before we could stop it. She is housed alone now. Dunghill EE hen most dangerous bird in the yard... go figure.

So far I have lost several Old English Game Fowl, Phoenix, Silkies, and Sultans. I finally decided to medicate the flock, not happy about it. I suspect I may loose all the Sultans. The Old English Game Fowl and Silkies seem to be responding to treatment. I will be lucky to save the one Phoenix still alive out there. The Oriental Game, Cornish X, Brahmans, Marans, Polish, various laying breeds like EEs, Sex Links and a few other one off specific multipurpose breeds, the D’Uccle, Oriental Game and the Ayam seem to be healthy though exposed... which is interesting.

I have birds in brooders inside my house that are 100% healthy and not exposed, but no way they can go outside till I get this problem dealt with.

I have been researching my options... but there is no way I want to expose my Black Swedish and Phoenix inside to this.

I may have some ideas based on research papers how to get rid of this out of the flock and preserve some breeding stock... but it’s pretty experimental but I got nothing to loose really by trying.

I am seriously ticked off I finally got the okay from hubby to have Game Fowl and keep some roosters... and this happens.

Dang Nabit
The reason I chose to cull instead is even if I cull every chicken that shows signs they might be one that don't show signs and is still a carrier then every bird on my yard is still in the same danger as a full blown sick bird. I have alot of energy spent in my birds and finally have what I'm looking for in game fowl and now sickness hits. Its got to be my fault somewhere down the line in one way or the other. All I can do is hope in time I'm able to cull the sickness off my yard

The reason I chose to cull instead is even if I cull every chicken that shows signs they might be one that don't show signs and is still a carrier then every bird on my yard is still in the same danger as a full blown sick bird. I have alot of energy spent in my birds and finally have what I'm looking for in game fowl and now sickness hits. Its got to be my fault somewhere down the line in one way or the other. All I can do is hope in time I'm able to cull the sickness off my yard
The fact that you have a young stag showing problems isn’t good. I would cull every single bird with problems no matter how small. As much as it sucks it’s for the best. Otherwise you’re kicking the can down the road.

The fact that you have a young stag showing problems isn’t good. I would cull every single bird with problems no matter how small. As much as it sucks it’s for the best. Otherwise you’re kicking the can down the road.
Already took care of. Your right it sucks but its better to do what shows its head now then everything later

Already took care of. Your right it sucks but its better to do what shows its head now then everything later
If I were you I wouldn’t get birds from anywhere you’ve got them from in the past. IMO one of the reasons birds are $$ isn’t because of the cost to raise that individual bird. It’s the cost to raise them all and select only the few that are good. When you factor in quite a few years of culling most while only keeping a few the costs add up fast. I know damn well most people hatch and sell all they can. I would run fast from these people. If people are selling birds for cheap on Craigslist etc.. the same applies. They’re looking to recoup money any way they can. I don’t believe they’re doing the best to care for those birds when their end goal is money or even breaking even. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

When I first got interested in gamefowl and doing all the research about past breeders I used to think they were crazy for culling their entire yards when they were getting out. I fully understand it now and would do the exact same thing instead of giving birds away. If someone isn’t willing to pay they aren’t willing to take care of them properly either. It’s not hard to tell apart those who half ass everything.

Back
Top Bottom