American Gamefowl

Here they are. Pullet and cock. Cock has a cold tolerance issue that must be watched closely. Tails are up a little, but pictures I see of Aseels where they come from do not always align with what the show community says they should look like. Cock's eyes not pearly, but they are also not orange red like a typical American Game that does not have dark eyes.
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG

Here they are. Pullet and cock. Cock has a cold tolerance issue that must be watched closely. Tails are up a little, but pictures I see of Aseels where they come from do not always align with what the show community says they should look like. Cock's eyes not pearly, but they are also not orange red like a typical American Game that does not have dark eyes.View attachment 2926631View attachment 2926633
Nice!
Congratulations!
I hope he adapts quickly to the cold and with no issues.

I may be getting a trio of Leiper/Bob Bennett grey crosses. After quarantine, I'll be adding them to a mixed flock with no roo. The coop & run are netted. I haven't had game chickens in 30 years, I mostly remember them sleeping in trees. Is there anything else I need to consider, management-wise?

I may be getting a trio of Leiper/Bob Bennett grey crosses. After quarantine, I'll be adding them to a mixed flock with no roo. The coop & run are netted. I haven't had game chickens in 30 years, I mostly remember them sleeping in trees. Is there anything else I need to consider, management-wise?
That's a loaded question:lol:

Not saying it won't work, but have you considered housing the trio separately in their own coop/run? Is that possible?

I have a small separate enclosure to start off with but would like to have them all together, eventually. My current birds are a barnyard mix aged 6 months to 4 or 5 years, all are laying breeds.
They free range over 4 acres when I am home and are brought in around sunset. The coop/run combination is open with 4 different sleeping areas that is about 30 x 60. I have just covered it with 2" netting about 8-10 feet above grade.
I have had chickens in this location for 30 years and prior to that, had a small flock in NC -- that's when I had a few game hens.
I really want to know what the problems may be and, if this isn't reasonably doable, I won't get them.

Last edited:
I have a small separate enclosure to start off with but would like to have them all together, eventually. What problems are you seeing in doing this? My current birds are a barnyard mix aged 6 months to 4 or 5 years, all are laying breeds.
How much space and how many birds?
How old is the trio - especially the rooster?
Roosters generally like hens no matter what , so probably not an issue there.
The girls may get along just fine, they may not. I would expect some scuffles. The rooster may keep everything calmed down though.
You never know until you try. If there's a lot of drama and it doesn't settle down, then having some separate housing is a good idea. I'm preaching to choir here, my "extra" spaces are full at the moment, but if needed, I'd figure out something:D

We were typing at the same time and it looks like I answered the questions, mostly.
I almost always have a separate area available but as I work extended hours, management is so much easier with 1 flock. And I hate drama, even the chicken kind. I do not know what age the male is, the person I am getting them from said he had several stags available. Advice on picking?
Oh, the hens are approx. 6 mos.

They free range over 4 acres when I am home and are brought in around sunset. The coop/run combination is open with 4 different sleeping areas that is about 30 x 60. I have just covered it with 2" netting about 8-10 feet above grade.
I have had chickens in this location for 30 years and prior to that, had a small flock in NC -- that's when I had a few game hens.
I really want to know what the problems may be and, if this isn't reasonably doable, I won't get them.
I see you edited and added more info. I think it's doable, especially if they can roam some.
I would definitely coop them for a week, so they are "trained" that the coop/run is the place to return. The stag will generally follow the majority of hens. The GF Gals...they might get all independent and tree roost LOL
I have some that choose trees for roosting, the rest come in every night.

6months is a good age, imho, they should acclimate fine. A stag that age will usually take control unless he's just really a pita.
As for choosing - someone better than I should give you some tips on that. I consider myself a total newbie with GF. At 6 months, to me the pullets should be pretty solid looking, stags should be confident. Otherwise, I would choose what caught my eye:D

Back
Top Bottom