American Gamefowl

I care more cause he was a great chickens not cause the money
Oh yah, I don't blame you. I probably shouldn't be getting into something I don't have the money for anyway:lol:. I don't mean to make it sound like it's all about money, Taking good care measurements is more important.

I could be wrong, but my advice is if you are just keeping your birds for enjoyment And don't plan on selling I wouldn't necessarily call every birds that shows symptoms. Some birds can pull out of it with out a lot of help and be ok. Now if they are suffering that's different, but sick birds that survive recover are more likely to have offspring that are immune .

I do agree with using selective breeding it has the best results but only if you have some variety to choose from.
Although, I wouldn't recommend selling birds that could be carrying something for life.

Again, this is just what I have learned over the years if someone has better advice I'd recommend you take that.

Last edited:
Oh yah, I don't blame you. I probably shouldn't be getting into something I don't have the money for anyway:lol:. I don't mean to make it sound like it's all about money, Taking good care measurements is more important.

I could be wrong, but my advice is if you are just keeping your birds for enjoyment And don't plan on selling I wouldn't necessarily call every birds that shows symptoms. Some birds can pull out of it with out a lot of help and be ok. Now if they are suffering that's different, but sick birds that survive recover are more likely to have offspring that are immune .

I do agree with using selective breeding it has the best results but only if you have some variety to choose from.
Although, I wouldn't recommend selling birds that could be carrying something for life.

Again, this is just what I have learned over the years if someone has better advice I'd recommend you take that.
I'm going to cull every birds with any signs so I hopefully don't have this problem later on down the road

I don’t think there’s really any hard evidence that either way is fool proof. I would caution against keeping birds that show any symptoms. Of course that doesn’t mean down the line more wont pop up but theoretically you should have stronger birds by only selecting birds that show zero symptoms.
Now if someone is just keeping birds as pets or whatever and has no desire to sell anything or better a breed in any way I suppose it doesn’t matter much.
Technically neither way is wrong and as long as people are honest with what they tell people who might be looking to buy a bird then I really see no issues. That’s rarely the case though

The interesting thing about keeping chickens is the soil where someone lives. Where I live worms are a non issue or have been for me so far. Other people depending on where they live have to worm their birds extremely often to keep them even remotely healthy. I will have lice and mites terrible if I don’t treat them while in other places that’s a non issue. So...what works for one person might be totally overkill or nowhere near enough for others, all things being equal as far as the quality of the birds.

Another thing is fowl pox. Some years are worse for mosquitoes here just like anywhere else but I usually have a few show a few spots here and there. Any birds that get them really bad (I’ve only had like 3 in the past 10 yrs) I’ve culled. Many might disagree with that but when all other birds of the same age are showing zero signs or a very mild case (1-2 bumps) while another’s head is just covered I figure it’s best to get rid of those birds. Stress makes it worse so I pay attention to that part too. For example if I have two birds get loose and go at it the open cuts and stress will compound the problem. Keeping everything in mind it’s not too difficult to single out the birds that are slightly weaker than the rest.

I had the little respiratory disease happen to me,i decided to cure them all except one I culled,i barely ever sell any except for people who want some for meat,after I sell them I highly doubt they get to live more than a day,I've only sold a rooster that showed mild symptoms,the guy never had any complaints so I guess he never showed symptoms again so I guess you could keep selling those that are stronger,of course I'm not going to sell any that got really sick,those will stay with me until the end.

Back
Top Bottom