American Gamefowl

Yea yea I remember who it was to. I'm going to cut some rebar down to 2ft and put 2per pen on opposite corners drove into the ground and tie them
I want to use rebar but getting a bird out will be even more of a pain if it’s strapped/attached down tight enough. Unless you come up with a quick way to attach/detach that I’ll copy.

I want to use rebar but getting a bird out will be even more of a pain if it’s strapped/attached down tight enough. Unless you come up with a quick way to attach/detach that I’ll copy.
My plan is take 2 pieces of 2ft rebar, drive one in half way on one corner and another on the opposite corner, securing the pen to the rebar with rebar ties. When I want to get a bird out I will just have to undo the rebar ties and twist the pen. The added hassle will be worth not having birds getting mangled

I used the pine stakes and a price of wire across the top anchored in the ground with a 6 ft roof bolt (rebar) just made doors on the pens it’s easier for me to catch them that way. I tried it without the doors and needless to say I had battle royale going down between birds on cords and a lose stag sorry you had a rough evening billy I’ve been lucky so far I guess. hopefully you don’t lose anymore.

No sign of two free range pullets or the two penned stags. I walked the pastures and checked the neighbors, nothing. We will see
Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully they turn up. I had to pen everything I have due to chicken hawks killing everything I only have one pumpkin pullet left so I figured I’d better be safe still trying to find a Great Pyrenees but haven’t had any luck. Hopefully next year is better for everybody

Tried wooden stakes myself didn’t have the best of luck in rocky soil but heck I bent a few tpost aswell. Blocks tied to each other in a loop over the dome has been about my best solution if I want every pen to stay put.

Rebar ideas good maybe some good hose clamps around the rebar and the wire of pen would work out. Carry ya around a little electric impact or drill to undo the clamps.
Hopefully ya find em billy hate that for ya nothing to crazy here for the animals just bad winds and rain.

My plan is take 2 pieces of 2ft rebar, drive one in half way on one corner and another on the opposite corner, securing the pen to the rebar with rebar ties. When I want to get a bird out I will just have to undo the rebar ties and twist the pen. The added hassle will be worth not having birds getting mangled
Post some pics when you do it cause I’m always open to changing things if it’ll make life easier. The only way I can see that being secure is if there is a hole drilled through the rebar to put the tie through or a welded nut and washer on top of the rebar to prevent the tie from sliding off the top. Rust too but even the hardwood stakes will rot out before the ties rust out.

I’ve had winds bad enough to blow birds around in the past had I not seen it in the process and went after em there’s no telling where they’d ended up.
Were your pens strapped down in any way at all? I’ve had pens rolling across the yard a few times over the years. Hurricanes, straight line winds etc.. I’ve had enough dead birds that I don’t mind the extra work if I know it’s secure and will hold. Those pens only need to lift a few inches for problems.

Tried wooden stakes myself didn’t have the best of luck in rocky soil but heck I bent a few tpost aswell. Blocks tied to each other in a loop over the dome has been about my best solution if I want every pen to stay put.

Rebar ideas good maybe some good hose clamps around the rebar and the wire of pen would work out. Carry ya around a little electric impact or drill to undo the clamps.
Hopefully ya find em billy hate that for ya nothing to crazy here for the animals just bad winds and rain.
That’s what I do with the wood stakes. I just use a cordless drill but it gets old fast. Hell I’d need over 100 concrete blocks for that setup. The clamps aren’t bad but sooner or later I’d strip them and That’s two screws per stake instead of one deck screw.

Back
Top Bottom