American Gamefowl

I used the pine stakes and a price of wire across the top anchored in the ground with a 6 ft roof bolt (rebar) just made doors on the pens it’s easier for me to catch them that way. I tried it without the doors and needless to say I had battle royale going down between birds on cords and a lose stag sorry you had a rough evening billy I’ve been lucky so far I guess. hopefully you don’t lose anymore.
I have doors on a few pens but it’s a weak link in the set up and mistakes can be made latching them or bungee cording them back closed. I go away kinda often and don’t like leaving anything to chance.

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully they turn up. I had to pen everything I have due to chicken hawks killing everything I only have one pumpkin pullet left so I figured I’d better be safe still trying to find a Great Pyrenees but haven’t had any luck. Hopefully next year is better for everybody
How many have you lost to hawks?

Were your pens strapped down in any way at all? I’ve had pens rolling across the yard a few times over the years. Hurricanes, straight line winds etc.. I’ve had enough dead birds that I don’t mind the extra work if I know it’s secure and will hold. Those pens only need to lift a few inches for problems.

Nah I meant like free ranged birds getting carried away by wind. I told ya that one time two winters ago that little stag got carried by the wind way into the woods.

I have had pens end up in the woods many times though in the past. I would run stakes but just ain’t right for here way to rocky maybe the new house. I spread the blocks out wide enough it puts a decent amount of pressure down on the pens.

54FE7801-0E98-47EA-9DDF-FB5963E4FC3F.jpeg
4037BA41-5870-4CD4-92A5-31EA5F1774C5.jpeg
4E26E53D-3D20-40AF-A2B8-AEC9FC6CA36C.jpeg
55DF7569-24DB-48EE-97AB-7D627A6B5ADE.jpeg

Post some pics when you do it cause I’m always open to changing things if it’ll make life easier. The only way I can see that being secure is if there is a hole drilled through the rebar to put the tie through or a welded nut and washer on top of the rebar to prevent the tie from sliding off the top. Rust too but even the hardwood stakes will rot out before the ties rust out.
Will do. I dont see how it will slide up or down if its tied threw the 2x4 welded wire to the rebar. I will just have to get some pics when I get it all finished

Back
Top Bottom