American Gamefowl

Thanks!
Most stations out of gas on Sunday. I think maybe 1-2 might have a little left.
Everything is going pretty good. Probably will do another breeding since I only have the 3GF chicks.
Rainy today, that's always funšŸ™ƒ

1AC2621A-3E6F-4840-BFBB-FC83F40FE021.jpeg
4CE5CA33-7512-46F2-B0BC-CD1CFDFD27D1.jpeg

Lost my blue mug today in a freak accident. He got loose and tangled up with a spare hatch cock on a tie cord, managed to get wrapped around in the tie cord and just got hammered for god knows how long until I got home from work. Only managed to raise one pure stag off him this year, hopefully he turns out to be a nice replacement. If not, Iā€™ll have to go pick out one of his brothers. On a more positive note the rest of the yard is healthy and chicks hatching out and running around left and right

My 5 adopted game hens are down to 2. :( I had another one that has disappeared in the past 2 days. I keep hoping she is just brooding somewhere and will show up.

One of the two remaining hens was roosting in the barn rafters last night, like usual. I took a fish net out and used it to catch her. Moved her into the big coop with my standard sized chickens. I feel really bad for her because she has been pacing the fence ALL DAY looking for a way out. Poor thing....

The other hen has been sitting on eggs for about 2 weeks now. I moved her, nesting box & all, into a dog crate to keep her safe from predators. After her chicks hatch, I will move her & the chicks into a coop as well. Right now I'm thinking I should put her in with my Silkies instead of the big coop. Maybe I should move them both into the Silkie pen? Decisions, decisions....

My 5 adopted game hens are down to 2. :( I had another one that has disappeared in the past 2 days. I keep hoping she is just brooding somewhere and will show up.

One of the two remaining hens was roosting in the barn rafters last night, like usual. I took a fish net out and used it to catch her. Moved her into the big coop with my standard sized chickens. I feel really bad for her because she has been pacing the fence ALL DAY looking for a way out. Poor thing....

The other hen has been sitting on eggs for about 2 weeks now. I moved her, nesting box & all, into a dog crate to keep her safe from predators. After her chicks hatch, I will move her & the chicks into a coop as well. Right now I'm thinking I should put her in with my Silkies instead of the big coop. Maybe I should move them both into the Silkie pen? Decisions, decisions....
If youā€™re not gonna trap the predators in your immediate area youā€™re gonna lose them all. Itā€™s just the way it is. I free range birds year round but I deal with foxes, raccoons, possums, mink etc...
If you want to keep any long term youā€™ll need to pen the remaining birds.

If youā€™re not gonna trap the predators in your immediate area youā€™re gonna lose them all. Itā€™s just the way it is. I free range birds year round but I deal with foxes, raccoons, possums, mink etc...
If you want to keep any long term youā€™ll need to pen the remaining birds.

We have TRIED to trap them. They are too smart for the traps. I have 3 coops - standard size chickens (mixed with my 2 goats), Silkies, and Ducks. I just recently got all of those runs covered right before Mother's Day. I am making an effort to protect them all... The game hens refused to mix with my other flocks and were insistent about roosting in my barn instead. Up until 2 days ago, there were 3 game hens left. Two were roosting in the barn rafters and I couldn't catch them. The only reason why I was able to catch the 3rd was because she was broody. I was able to cover the entrance to the nesting box and move her into a dog crate where she is safe from predators. The last time I saw my little grey game hen (who had been roosting in the rafters) was on Sunday morning. I realized last night that she was missing when there was only 1 hen in the rafters instead of 2. That's when I got crafty and decided to try to use a fishing net to knock her off the rafter. I waited until it was dark so she didn't know where to run as easily. I ended up catching her with the net I used to knock her down and I moved her into the coop with the standard chickens.

I'm TRYING to rehome them to a new coop for their safety. She just doesn't want to comply and keeps pacing the fence. Even in the pouring rain.

Either trap and setup a electric fence even sitting out until weee hours in the early morning or theyā€™ll be dinner. It donā€™t matter where they ā€œrehomeā€ too because if they ainā€™t going to do the above either then the birds will be in the same boat as they are now.

Either trap and setup a electric fence even sitting out until weee hours in the early morning or theyā€™ll be dinner. It donā€™t matter where they ā€œrehomeā€ too because if they ainā€™t going to do the above either then the birds will be in the same boat as they are now.
I think she meant re-home them to a coop instead of being loose. Not to a new home.
I'm TRYING to rehome them to a new coop for their safety.

Lots of work involved to keeping free range birds alive I'd say.
Hopefully they will settle in the coop for you.

Back
Top Bottom