American parakeet?

Pretty Birdie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
I was wondering if anyone knows where a parakeet show is? If have found many websites for the showing of English budgies, but none for American budgies. Can you take American budgies to the shows for English budgies, or are they not allowed?
Thanks.

Does nobody know????
sad.png
idunno.gif
hit.gif

There is a standard set for the "ideal" budgie which began the development of selective breeding toward that "ideal", which resulted in the English budgie. What people call "American" budgies are just those budgies which weren't bred toward a standard. While I'm not 100% sure, I'd assume that most people intent on showing their budgies will want to begin by breeding toward a standard, and there is no standard set for the "American" budgies. Basically, they're closer in body conformation to the wild species, and just come in a myriad of colors. Some people do selectively breed for particular colors and combinations, but not really much in the way of body type. I'm not knocking the "American" budgies by any means, but they're more "for fun" than "for show." But in any case, you'd reach a much wider "budgie" audience if you sought out budgie forums.

Good luck.

smile.png

I bred and belonged to a budgie club for years, having been to exotic bird shows all over the west coast I can say I have never seen american budgies shown, as well the budgies that are shown must be bred by the exhibitor.

Back
Top Bottom