American serama thread!

Mine do fine on the starter crumbles but I put the feeder in a large tin pan so that the feed they push out doesn't get wasted, it goes back into the feeder. And my adults eat the laying crumbles with no problem. I have ground the crumbles in a coffee grinder, which works great! But I found they still knock feed out, that's why I use the tin.
Thank you so much.
smile.png

I am going to be hatching some Serama's, do you grind up the chicks starter crumble since they are so small, or can they eat it without grinding it up. Thanks

I do grind my chick starter most of the time. Each brand is a bit different. For instance, King Brand I do not need to grind but the Purina brand I do. Often times the chick starter crumbles are larger than the regular layer crumbles, no idea why, and I would rather never take a chance. I have yet to have a chick choke when I ground up the chick starter but have had when I did not.

I'm thinking about getting some more Seramas but the owner says they are having a fowl pox out break in their birds. So I'm a bit skeptical about getting some. Could my birds get it as well if I bought some once they were healed? I did some research and I keep getting different awnsers. Has anyone ever had experience with fowl pox before?

Personally, I'd look somewhere else or wait a number of months until purchasing from someone with fowl pox. At least they are being honest with you and that id admirable. You can vaccinate your flock for protection but you should always isolate any new birds, even if from the same breeder. Fowl pox is no fun and can quickly turn deadly.

I do grind my chick starter most of the time. Each brand is a bit different. For instance, King Brand I do not need to grind but the Purina brand I do. Often times the chick starter crumbles are larger than the regular layer crumbles, no idea why, and I would rather never take a chance. I have yet to have a chick choke when I ground up the chick starter but have had when I did not.
I usually buy from a store called Atwoods, don't know if you have one where you are or not. I will grind for the first few weeks then. Also, I know there are people who say feed medicated and people who do not. I know on all my other breeds (chicks) I have fed medicated starter crumble. Thanks for the advise.

Personally, I'd look somewhere else or wait a number of months until purchasing from someone with fowl pox. At least they are being honest with you and that id admirable. You can vaccinate your flock for protection but you should always isolate any new birds, even if from the same breeder. Fowl pox is no fun and can quickly turn deadly.

I want to add that every bird is affected differently with fowl pox, When exposed to the virus, some get no symptoms, some just a little and some alot, and with a few unlucky ones it can be very nasty and/or deadly.....

Sort of like a classroom full of kids and one has chicken pox......etc......

Can seramas live with bantams? (Silkies,buff brahma,dominiques,wyandottes,cochins,OEGB) i have a big coop and when i get the money together im getting two seramas from someone in here but im curious if thet can live together

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll wait a while to get some, I read that once the bird the bird is healed it is no longer a carrier. So I think once the bird is healed, It would be safe to put in with the other chickens. Or I'll just buy chicks that haven't been exposed to it yet.
Can seramas live with bantams? (Silkies,buff brahma,dominiques,wyandottes,cochins,OEGB) i have a big coop and when i get the money together im getting two seramas from someone in here but im curious if thet can live together

It depends on how aggressive your birds are. As long as there is no fighting they should be fine. We have a class B rooster that stays with our regular bantams and he does just fine.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom