American serama thread!

Quote:
Aww thank you
big_smile.png

I feel their pain
sad.png
I am not legal here anymore either. Few years ago the city council changed the laws in this area to where you can't have any birds unless you have 3 acres or more and you have to apply for a small animal permit. When this came into play everyone around here who had chickens in their backyards freaked out and got rid of their birds. Not I, I refuse! After all I had the birds before they became illegal to have and I am not letting them go anywhere. I'll dig up the coop/run pics and fwd them froggiesheins, anything I can do to help a fellow chicken lover fight the good fight!

Hello... i have a wonderful rooster I bought last summer. I kept him in the house all winter because I was told he was a "Malaysian" serama and could not withstand the cold tempetures... this spring, i bought him 2 tiny OEG hens to keep him company.. well they so far they have produced 20 offspring.... forgive me if this has been covered, but I didnt have time to read the whole thread... my question is this: he doesnt have the big puffy chest, so is he an "American Serama"... ?? He is a wonderful bird, so it doesnt really matter to me.. but if I go to sell the chicks, i dont want to mislead people saying "Malaysian" if in fact he is not.. the person I bought him off of told me he was from some breeding stock where the guy charges 100 a hen... hmmm... i was just wondering why his chest doesnt stick out... thank you in advance for any response.. have a great day.

84468_serama_babies.jpg

good morning, Well theres alot of debate about your questions. They are now called american. they were originally from malaysia. But since they was brought over here and bred here they are now american. As far as big or puffy chest thats all on how they are bred or bred for. A really good serama should have a puffy chest. hope this helps.
smile.png
do you have more pics of him?

I agree. He would be considered an American Serama. The question remains as to whether he is show/breeder/pet quality. From the pics he looks like a nice bird, however, just because a breeder has $100 birds doesn't mean that all of the offspring are the same quality. Serama are very diverse!
smile.png

The important thing about selling the chicks is that they are NOT pure Serama. Please be clear in advertising that they are OEG mix. The Serama community has worked very hard to create clean bloodlines and a buyer should know that your little chicks are pet birds and not suitable for a Serama breeding program.

Your little flock looks very happy. Enjoy them!

Oh i would never say the chicks are serama.. i have said they are Serama/OEG red pyle. i will see if i have a better picture of him. in the meantime, i bought some shipped eggs that are Serama they have been in the incubator a week, i really dont have much faith i will get anything, but you never know.. i am pretty much done with shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom