American serama thread!

hey guys- i need some suggestions- Boaz had some sort of seizure tonite, went limp, thought he was done for, now he is awake but can't stand? He sits and looks around?

That really sucks! Wasn't it your Joe that had a seizure a while ago, or am I thinking of someone else? I had never even heard of this until then, and ironically about 2 days after I had found my young pullet Betty dead. I'm convinced now it was a seizure. Thank God his wasn't fatal. Wish I had advice, but I'll say a prayer for him.
fl.gif

Some wheaten and wheaten split chicks
You can see the difference in the down color that indicates how pure the chicks are for wheaten.

The older chick at the top is the most pure, there were no markings or shaded areas at all on this chick. The one in the lower left has the most markings and may be split for wheaten but not pure. The little one on the lower right is close, no eye liner but definite darker shading on the head, neck and back.

When they are older, it may be hard to tell which chick was better, I'm pretty sure all three are pullets because of the light colors, cockerels will usually have darker markings on the feathers. I will need to mark these pullets before they feather in fully or I may not be able to tell which was the most pure for wheaten by appearance.

You can see the difference in the down color that indicates how pure the chicks are for wheaten.

The older chick at the top is the most pure, there were no markings or shaded areas at all on this chick. The one in the lower left has the most markings and may be split for wheaten but not pure. The little one on the lower right is close, no eye liner but definite darker shading on the head, neck and back.

When they are older, it may be hard to tell which chick was better, I'm pretty sure all three are pullets because of the light colors, cockerels will usually have darker markings on the feathers. I will need to mark these pullets before they feather in fully or I may not be able to tell which was the most pure for wheaten by appearance.

I feel smarter for having read that, thank-you!! I know sooo little on genetics and coloring it's pathetic. Every bit of info. helps!
frow.gif
BTW, I love the chicks. Adorable!!
love.gif

So would this boy be fairly pure for wheaten then?
day old

now

Interesting. My frizzle was off white, a creamy white, yet she/he has creamy brown feathers coming in. So I take it she will be a wheaten? My other wheaten pullet lost any patterns on her feathers, now she is a buff color with dark charcoal wing tips and tail tips. Is that what I can expect from my frizzle or is it possible it will have a pattern still? Thanks for posting all that info!
yep- i lost joe a couple weeks later- i am watching boaz close, he is in the laundry room which is next to the bedroom- i appreciate your prayers- just checked him, he gave me the 'mom! i'm trying to sleep' look
Gosh, I really hope Boaz gets better! Are they related (some things are passed down genetically?) I'm so sorry, but glad he's hanging in there!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

It is so cold here. WE had a rare hard freeze and the water was pretty solid out in the goat water buckets. My bator got down to 97 and I think that was most of the night. My eggs are just a few days along. Do you think they will be alright? Oh the bator is in my bedroom. WE keep the house 70 put it dip lower last night a bit.

Everyones babies are so cute! I'm super jealous. I think I have maybe four that could hatch on Monday. Out of a dozen that doesn't seem too bad! But I'll have to wait and see.

Spent the morning chasing the an escaped rooster around. Finally gave up. He'll come back if he doesn't get eaten by one of the stray dogs I suppose. He looked so proud of himself walking down the street. The hens never give me any trouble... but that one, boy he's a pain in the you know what! Not too worried about him not coming home LOL

Back
Top Bottom