American serama thread!

Gracie is adorable with her diaper. My friend has 2 serama hens but, she doesn't diaper them - all together she has 4 house chickens (2 silkies) - she just prefers to clean up after them all day long. You don't notice any smells when you visit so she must be doing a very good job.

Omg. That keeps her really busy. I was doing that but it got to be to much. I used Clorox wipes for awhile and then decided they had to wear a diaper. They have cages for night time and when I am away. I have a 6 week roo who I ordered his first one. I do hate to tip toe around the poop. Lol. If your friend there is a great group on Facebook and I can put her to the woman I get mine from who is very very reasonable on price. I have one of those $30.00 and it does not even fit! Shame on me.

My friend "poo poos" at everything I suggest. I even got her a silky hen an apron for Valentine's Day and my friend wouldn't even try to put it on her. You could say the chickens are the boss in her house. If they put up the slightest fuss she lets them have their way. Different strokes for different folks I guess. My friend doesn't have facebook or even a computer, so I have to do the research for her.

If she ever changes her mine, I will be hangin around here. The do put up a little fuss the first time but quickly learns it is fine. It is like putting a collar on a puppy for the first time and then trying to take him for a walk. Lol. I like my birds better in a diaper but that is just me. Different things for different people and freedom to make our own choice .. We all just love our chickens. :)

If she ever changes her mine, I will be hangin around here. The do put up a little fuss the first time but quickly learns it is fine. It is like putting a collar on a puppy for the first time and then trying to take him for a walk. Lol. I like my birds better in a diaper but that is just me. Different things for different people and freedom to make our own choice .. We all just love our chickens.
smile.png
I think sometimes some chickens just don't go for diapers lol. Most of the seramas I have had have been great after the initial backing up into the walls lol. Berry hates wearing a diaper though. She just turns into a rag doll. And I've been trying with her for 3 months! Where as her boy Toy never made a fuss at all! Gotta love great little chicken personalities!

Broody Berry on her clutch (so there WERE 3 eggs... for a few days now! And now, suddenly, there are 4. Guess she is determined to be a momma!)

Hello everyone! My Serama Pretty Girl laid her 1st egg on Saturday!

I was totally unprepared since I am a new chicken mom. I've only had my Serama pair since June 22nd. I really like the color of her eggs. She weighs 15 oz so I was expecting tiny eggs.

Today she laid her 3rd egg.

So I have some questions:

1. How many will she lay before she sits on them?
2. Do all Serama hens sit on their eggs or only if they want to?
3. How will I know if she's going to sit on them when she has enough?

I know nothing about chicken egg laying. I've tried to research it online, but didn't get much info. Any other suggestions or wisdom you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone! My Serama Pretty Girl laid her 1st egg on Saturday!

I was totally unprepared since I am a new chicken mom. I've only had my Serama pair since June 22nd. I really like the color of her eggs. She weighs 15 oz so I was expecting tiny eggs.

Today she laid her 3rd egg.

So I have some questions:

1. How many will she lay before she sits on them?
2. Do all Serama hens sit on their eggs or only if they want to?
3. How will I know if she's going to sit on them when she has enough?

I know nothing about chicken egg laying. I've tried to research it online, but didn't get much info. Any other suggestions or wisdom you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
They decide when they are going to set......................hormone thing.....................
wink.png

Mine are very broody..................
If she becomes broody, you will know..
She will not want her eggs picked up, she will not want to get off the eggs , she may peck you if you reach in for the eggs.
She will appear fluffy when setting on the eggs.......Trust that you will see the difference in her behavior.
Nothing sweeter than a broody Serama. Have fun and good luck........

New pics of a couple of my 2 1/2 month old babies. The black mottled is a little pullet, I am almost positive... the gold mottled one though... GAH. It looks super feminine compared to my same-age D'Uccles but compared to the same age Seramas, its face and comb are pinker. I will know for sure in a couple weeks I have a feeling.

The photobomber in this shot is indeed, a 2 1/2 month old D'Uccle!

Back
Top Bottom