American serama thread!

Things are going slow around here. This cold weather is driving me insane! Anywho. I know they are still a little young but anyone wanna hazard some predictions/guesses on the sexes of my little ones? I know one whom is definitely a little roo. ^.^

Alex

Haiden

Licorice

Parker

Riley

Sammy (the Roo ^.^)

Twizler

Where do you guys have your grow out pens? If they are inside, how do you transition outdoors in the cold weather?
I'm wondering about moving my juvies outside. I would like to build a new grow out coop for them, and the future (hopefully GIRLS this time around! uhg lol) chicks, they are getting too big to stay cooped up in my room. But we are getting our first freezing temps tonight! And I'm worried about them in cold. I keep trying to ween them off the heat lamp, but every time I move it the slightest bit away they all huddle up in the corner nearest it and fluff up like I'm killing them. I can't tell if they are actually freezing or if they are just being dramatic! They look fully feathered to ME, but 2 of them are silkied.

Mine are grown out in my main LF coop. I have rabbit cages mounted under my poop boards. When they hit about six months I either keep them for my bantam flock or turn them out with the LF. They can be pretty dramatic at first but the little guys are tuffer than they look.

Where do you guys have your grow out pens? If they are inside, how do you transition outdoors in the cold weather?
I'm wondering about moving my juvies outside. I would like to build a new grow out coop for them, and the future (hopefully GIRLS this time around! uhg lol) chicks, they are getting too big to stay cooped up in my room. But we are getting our first freezing temps tonight! And I'm worried about them in cold. I keep trying to ween them off the heat lamp, but every time I move it the slightest bit away they all huddle up in the corner nearest it and fluff up like I'm killing them. I can't tell if they are actually freezing or if they are just being dramatic! They look fully feathered to ME, but 2 of them are silkied.

How old are they????????????
Sounds like they are not ready to give up the heat...........
I don't know what you are using........I change down light bulbs...........
from 60 to 40.then no heat during the day.ect.
Good Luck........
big_smile.png

How old are they????????????
Sounds like they are not ready to give up the heat...........
I don't know what you are using........I change down light bulbs...........
from 60 to 40.then no heat during the day.ect.
Good Luck........
big_smile.png
Well they are 8 weeks old - hatched 10/10. I've been trying to keep better track of age. I always say that to myself and then a month or two in I lose count... lol. At least this time I have a definitive hatch date written down as the name of their pictures file folder on my computer so I'm forced to remember, although eventually it will get changed to the names of the birds I keep =D
I guess they ARE still kind of young... they sure don't seem it with all their crowing and squabbling! LOL
What do you mean change down light bulbs??

This is the girl - Nuke
She refuses to hold still for the camera (hoping to get better pictures in the daylight tomorrow) She's a sweetie though

Sylvester - the ring leader, he's my fav, such a people friendly personality but he REEEEEALLY wanted to go explore and not so much pose for pictures

"The Twins" - Jed and Carl - Jed has some pretty caramel looking brown color coming in on his back, I'm excited to see what comes of it!
Carl is sort of a jerk. He full on BITES me when he sees my hand. He's not a very friendly little fellow. He picks a lot of fights too... Toy boy will kick his little rude butt, and he probably wouldn't survive that, so he will not be staying here too much longer I bet, whether it's to roam a free range ranch on the outskirts of town away from people or to the big chicken coop in the sky...

And last but not least, the two silkieds, Dave and Bill.
Dave was supposed to be "Lavender", but that name didn't fit a boy (do you think he is really a boy? I suck at this, he doesn't look like Nuke, but he doesn't really look like Sylvester either...), and Bill was "Fuzz B (Fuzzy and Black, the creativity at my house!)" his name changes almost daily based on his daily antics. Currently his wretched squeal of a crow sounds like a Bill I know lol

And one for kicks -

Back
Top Bottom