American serama thread!

Do serama roosters stand very upright naturally or do you have to teach them? my silkied roo doesn't really pose for me. If you do need to teach them, can anyone tell me how. Thanks!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Do serama roosters stand very upright naturally or do you have to teach them? my silkied roo doesn't really pose for me. If you do need to teach them, can anyone tell me how. Thanks!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
I always wondered about my silkied roos, they NEVER seem to stand up straight! I would love to hear this too - I don't know how to train them haha

Yes unfortunately when hatching it seems we always get mostly boys haha. If you don't have anywhere to take them then hatching might not work for you. I have a feed store just down the street from me that buys roosters for $5. They always sell the serama roos within a day so they are always happy to take in more from me =) I don't know that I'd want to keep too many roosters, although I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a 1 to 1 ratio, it's getting harder and harder to get rid of the boys that are so stinkin sweet!!!
LOL. I reckon I'd have the same luck, LOL. I did get in touch with a breeder and bought two pullets! I am so excited to get them. Hopefully they will arrive safely at my post office soon.

I can hardly believe I'm going to be a new proud owner of Seramas. Hopefully my silkie roo will like them, ha ha ha. Hopefully I can tame them too, just as I did my production reds. I love the challenge of taming chickens. It's good therapeutic work in the sense that I have to calm myself and be Zen and be very patient. The one thing that works on my side is that in general, I found chickens to be very food-motivated. Okay, yes- bribery, LOL.

BTW, are the hens broody, or does it just depend on the bird?

LOL. I reckon I'd have the same luck, LOL. I did get in touch with a breeder and bought two pullets! I am so excited to get them. Hopefully they will arrive safely at my post office soon.

I can hardly believe I'm going to be a new proud owner of Seramas. Hopefully my silkie roo will like them, ha ha ha. Hopefully I can tame them too, just as I did my production reds. I love the challenge of taming chickens. It's good therapeutic work in the sense that I have to calm myself and be Zen and be very patient. The one thing that works on my side is that in general, I found chickens to be very food-motivated. Okay, yes- bribery, LOL.

So happy for you getting your new Seramas..........
The first time I had them shipped, I was mess with worry but they did great and were so cute when I opened the box........
It was like"we're fine, What your problem?"
I cannot speak for all Seramas..it will be interesting to hear from others..........but my girls are broody and lay frequently.
With one exception, they have raised their clutches in families...usually a Roo and two hens............
I had one roo break open an egg right before hatching and then I was afraid to trust him with a chick so removed him.
I cannot believe how easy the taming has been.....usually just a few days.
I know my method would not be for everyone. I have a parrot cage in the breakfast nook...
We bring one in alone and work with it.....let it out, hold it , usually not long until they climb on our shoulder
and look out the window. I put a treats of a few cut up grapes in the feeder when they are put up because they are never ready to be put away. I also use this time to trim nails and beaks...or bathe.......I do this with everyone so they are started when they go to a new home.
Sorry if this is to long...........will try to make this part quick......
I had our house Serama, buddy, out last night. He was on the top of his cage looking out the window........I was drinking coffee
at the table right beside him . I went to the sink to wash dishes. Buddy looked up, saw me leaving the area and screamed
really loud.........then flew to the counter , ran over to me and placed himself on my shoulder........Cracked me up, guess he did not want to be alone. He stayed on my shoulder until my chores were complete..Such nice company........
big_smile.png

Congrats!!! How exciting! You will love them! And you silkie roo will probably be pleased to have some ladies to look after =)

Yeah, thanks. My silkie roo needs a disco ball and a gold chain LOL. He thinks he's such a hot thing, LOL.

Had to take one of my hens to the vet. She hasn't looked good for a while, so we're having a fecal test done. In the meantime, she is living in my art studio in a large dog crate. It's perfect for a chicken hospital ;-) I love living in the country, where vets know livestock and really care about chickens- at least mine does. Cluckers melted many a heart while we were waiting at the office. She is just a production red, but her disposition is so sweet. My silkie isn't that sweet, LOL. He's too busy showing off to the hens in the coop a few feet away. But he'll soon have his little entourage!

I told my vet that I was getting some Serama pullets and he was all excited about that. Me too.

Yeah, thanks. My silkie roo needs a disco ball and a gold chain LOL. He thinks he's such a hot thing, LOL.

Had to take one of my hens to the vet. She hasn't looked good for a while, so we're having a fecal test done. In the meantime, she is living in my art studio in a large dog crate. It's perfect for a chicken hospital ;-) I love living in the country, where vets know livestock and really care about chickens- at least mine does. Cluckers melted many a heart while we were waiting at the office. She is just a production red, but her disposition is so sweet. My silkie isn't that sweet, LOL. He's too busy showing off to the hens in the coop a few feet away. But he'll soon have his little entourage!

I told my vet that I was getting some Serama pullets and he was all excited about that. Me too.
That's so nice to have a chicken vet! The closet poultry vet is 2 hours away from me, so I make do with the exotic avian vet. I know more about chicken medicine than they do, but they can get me real medication and xrays lol. They looked after my goose when she was ill a while back. Still paying off the bill for that one!

I can't wait to see pictures of him with his new ladies!

That's so nice to have a chicken vet! The closet poultry vet is 2 hours away from me, so I make do with the exotic avian vet. I know more about chicken medicine than they do, but they can get me real medication and xrays lol. They looked after my goose when she was ill a while back. Still paying off the bill for that one!

I can't wait to see pictures of him with his new ladies!
Oh yeah. Mr. Squatchie will definitely be posing with his new ladies!!!

Katie's new babies, hatched Sunday night/Sat morning
1f603.png
ugh picture won't load for some reason? I'll try again tonight. She had 7, the runt died last night
1f614.png

Back
Top Bottom