American serama thread!

Lonely Only Update:
She/he hatched with @homeschoolin momma on May 13th but had no sibling companionship there, so I allowed my broody to adopt. Those chicks sold out quickly, but I liked it's unique color so I kept it.

I had another broody hen hatch out chicks, so it got another new family. The 2nd mama also readily adopted the chick. She is queen of my bantam flock, so the serama should have no problems with integration.

So here she/he is at 7.5 weeks. Gender guesses?
I'm leaning toward female, since I get mostly females.
It is over 90'F today, so there could be some flushing
View attachment 2227154
View attachment 2227155
img_4312-2-jpg.2227156
View attachment 2227158View attachment 2227159View attachment 2227156
Female.

Lonely Only Update:
She/he hatched with @homeschoolin momma on May 13th but had no sibling companionship there, so I allowed my broody to adopt. Those chicks sold out quickly, but I liked it's unique color so I kept it.

I had another broody hen hatch out chicks, so it got another new family. The 2nd mama also readily adopted the chick. She is queen of my bantam flock, so the serama should have no problems with integration.

So here she/he is at 7.5 weeks. Gender guesses?
I'm leaning toward female, since I get mostly females.
It is over 90'F today, so there could be some flushing
View attachment 2227154
View attachment 2227155
img_4312-2-jpg.2227156
View attachment 2227158View attachment 2227159View attachment 2227156
Shes still really tiny. Its got to be because Pips so small.

Shes still really tiny. Its got to be because Pips so small.
Probably. Statistically Pippin is silkied, so 50% of silkied when paired with Jasper. Lonely Only is already smaller than her 2 week old hatch orp siblings.

As far as yours, I'm glad you finally got a female - even if it was from me. I just grabbed 2 random ones since they all looked alike. I agree that the 1st one standing so tall looks male & the middle looks female. The little one on the end that you hatched could go either way.

Here are the siblings (pics taken today) of the ones I gave you. They're only 2 weeks old. If I have a male it would be one or both of these. No real signs either way.
IMG_4298 (2).JPG

Although young, I think the gray is female.
IMG_4303 (2).JPG

BTW - Has anyone seen this in a chick before?

Lonely only has a bald chest. Reminds me of a broody hen. I'm guessing the chick fluff rubbed off & her real feathers haven't grown in yet.
IMG_4294 (2).JPG

Oh the irony.......

So two months or so ago i hatched Lonely Only. Since i didnt have anyone for her to buddy up with, she went to @Faraday40. Lonely is a silkied little petite female.

About a month ago, i again hatched another lonely only. This time Faraday brought me two chicks she randomly grabbed that were about a week older. One was quite bigger than the other and it looked like a pair. The lonely chick was just too young to tell. Fast forward 4 week. The biggest chick started crowing at 2 and 1/2 weeks?!? And is a boy like thought. This weekend, the smaller of the two Faraday brought suddenly sprouted a comb and red wattles over night. NOOO!!!! At least tiny lonely still looks like a girl.......until today. Red comb and itty bitty wattles sprouted last night. Yes, 3 cockerels. I...can't......believe.....it.
20200721_200639.jpg
20200721_200429.jpg

Help

Me

🤣
😫

Oh the irony.......

So two months or so ago i hatched Lonely Only. Since i didnt have anyone for her to buddy up with, she went to @Faraday40. Lonely is a silkied little petite female.

About a month ago, i again hatched another lonely only. This time Faraday brought me two chicks she randomly grabbed that were about a week older. One was quite bigger than the other and it looked like a pair. The lonely chick was just too young to tell. Fast forward 4 week. The biggest chick started crowing at 2 and 1/2 weeks?!? And is a boy like thought. This weekend, the smaller of the two Faraday brought suddenly sprouted a comb and red wattles over night. NOOO!!!! At least tiny lonely still looks like a girl.......until today. Red comb and itty bitty wattles sprouted last night. Yes, 3 cockerels. I...can't......believe.....it.
View attachment 2256132View attachment 2256133
Help

Me

🤣
😫

Oh NO!

I can't believe ALL 3 are male! :th

I also can't believe the headgear on the biggest one! Those 2 are exact opposite. One matured super fast & the other extra slow. They hatched around June 19, so a month old now. Why is the lonely only so much smaller? Isn't it only 2-3 days younger?

I guess you better tell Jasper to behave. You a wide range of replacements to choose from.

If you like, I can always throw some serama eggs in the incubator for you. OR I have 2 hatched from July 4th (chipmunk pattern - 1 light brown & 1 dark gray) and 1 from July 17th (white). You may want to wait until I have a confirmed their genders. .....If I send them to you now, they may develop combs and wattles by next week.

Why is the lonely only so much smaller? Isn't it only 2-3 days younger?
This little guy was 6 days younger. BUT! He came from Pippin who is tiny herself and all of her babies that do survive to hatch are extra tiny. Her full grown daughter that just started laying is even smaller than her and so are the eggs. They are like a grape, or a robins egg. Her son is also half the size of Jasper. Thats why your Lonely Only is so tiny. I weighed this boy the other evening, and at 3 &1/2weeks old, he weighs 49g. He was 16g when hatched. The biggest one was like 140g and the middle onejust slightly under 100g.

I know that dont stand a snowballs chance, but I threw 7 of Pippins and 7 of her daughters eggs in the inky today.:oops:

I'm being overrun by broody hens here!

My silkie hatched some orps and seramas.
The 3 chicks in center are seramas.
The 2 light seramas are brothers to the ones @homeschoolin momma posted yesterday. (Hatched 6-19)
My silkie also adopted the 10 wk old tan silkied pullet to right.(Hatched 5-13)
IMG_4605.JPG

Then (on July 4th) Sesame hatched 2 Modern Game (black & blue) and 2 unauthorized serama eggs were added by the other hens.
IMG_4578 (2).JPG

I get a kick out of the white one who now has dark gray wings. My guess is she's a female & the golden one a male. Only 2.5 weeks, so I hope to find out if I'm right soon.
IMG_4585 (2).JPG

Then Coge went broody with Sesame, so we gave her some orpington eggs. The hens also slipped a serama egg under her. I'm a sucker & if I see development, I don't have the heart to toss it. I'm normally pretty good about emptying the nest daily, but we had a few crazy days & those sneaky hens did it to me again.

We already sold 3 of the orps, so Coge only has one silver laced orp & one serama now. The serama's so tiny! They are 5 days old. (hatched 7-17)
IMG_4586 (2).JPG

Not serama related, but here's my big mama Jewel & my 1st silver laced orps of 2020. (hatched 7-6)
IMG_4600 (2).JPG

Of course Cookie is broody and sitting on eggs. When will it ever end!?

Back
Top Bottom