American serama thread!

Wow that's terrible! I am so sorry you lost your Blueberry
sad.png
....so sorry you had to see it.

Ra so sorry about your little Blueberry. The hawks kill them quickly by piercing their lungs and they pass away. Please get it out of your mind she was eaten alive. Again so sorry.

Snowflake is 4 months old today. 5.9 ounces.

On Saturday, my chickens were grazing in the grass before dusk, as usual, as I played goalie and guarded against the hawks that like to come swooping in about 3 feet off the ground. Just before it got dark, I heard a scream and turned to see a hawk 15 feet away, on what turned out to be my little special needs hen that I call Blueberry. I darted towards the birds to scare it off. The most a hawk has dragged any of my birds has been 2 or 3 feet before they abandoned the hunt and flew off. I was about 10 feet from them when the hawk managed to take off with the bird in its talons. I was screaming as I desperately tried to close the gap. Blueberry was screaming her lungs out. As I closed to within 5 feet, the hawk matched my speed and then began to slowly pull away. I ran about 200 yards before I could no longer hear or see them. Knowing that they sometimes hunt in pairs, I had to sprint back to protect the rest of my flock.

Knowing she was out there getting eaten alive was devastating.
Now I have to keep all my birds under wire when allowing them to graze.
Blueberry was not a part of my breeding plan but I loved her as much as any of them.

Snowflake is beautiful! My heart goes out to you regarding Blueberry! I am so very sorry
hugs.gif

On Saturday, my chickens were grazing in the grass before dusk, as usual, as I played goalie and guarded against the hawks that like to come swooping in about 3 feet off the ground. Just before it got dark, I heard a scream and turned to see a hawk 15 feet away, on what turned out to be my little special needs hen that I call Blueberry. I darted towards the birds to scare it off. The most a hawk has dragged any of my birds has been 2 or 3 feet before they abandoned the hunt and flew off. I was about 10 feet from them when the hawk managed to take off with the bird in its talons. I was screaming as I desperately tried to close the gap. Blueberry was screaming her lungs out. As I closed to within 5 feet, the hawk matched my speed and then began to slowly pull away. I ran about 200 yards before I could no longer hear or see them. Knowing that they sometimes hunt in pairs, I had to sprint back to protect the rest of my flock.

Blueberry was not a part of my breeding plan but I loved her as much as any of them.

Your little Snowflake is so cute! I'm sorry about Blueberry. My favorite duck, a Pekin named Fluffy, was eaten in his pen by a bald eagle last summer. I know how you feel.

Thats terrible... condolence on your loss

That's terrible Ra_!!!!

Just a thought, I made a really inexpensive "run" for my birds with PVC pipe, make it big and roomy, and you can throw netting over it. That's horrible that you have hawks so brave!

Oh Ra, that is just awful. I am so sorry that happened to you and Blueberry. That is a very traumatizing thing to witness. I am so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom