American serama thread!

[COLOR=0000CD]There is something to be said for pet quality Serama's, I love the fact that mine are not so upright. They look like tiny chickens, but with a relaxed carriage. I wanted a tiny chicken only, with no care for showing, or how straight it stood, or breeding. That is what I got, for MUCH cheaper than the show quality you'll see on here. They run around the farm with the big guys and hold their own, they may be exactly what you're looking for. One thing though, you live in Minnesota with harsh winters, so research first. They will require extra care and housing.[/COLOR]:)

Seramas are the BOMB! I have gotten every one of mine free, they are all pet quality. They are just a loveable as show quality. Living in Minnesota you WILL have to think about indoor houseing w/ heat of somekind. They really can't take the cold like Large fowl. And yes they sure can hold their own with the big guys!

So back to the wheaten coloring being sex linked - does that mean the gender of the chicks can be told when they feather out just by looking at their color?

feel free to use my chick pics for anything but misrepresentation.

Coopacabana ,
Do you want to do some trading or just maybe sell some birds . I might be interested in getting a bird or two depending on the colors and type that come out of these eggs. I have this issue with breeding back to the dad too. I might want a rooster of better quality than mine for next year as well.
I am in Shoreline WA just N of Seattle.

At what age do Seramas start to stand more up right if they are going to do it?
You will get lots of good information on here regarding seramas...

You have to get them "climatized" to standing and handling. The "pose" You will see as very young chicks (in really nice ones). But whenever I have tried to get a photo of ones I don't handle much or they are standing on something they are not used to....they squish down. In the pen loose, they run around and strut all the time. I have quite a few little ones right now that I am watching as they have really shown some potential. To just stand there and pose, you do need to train them, to stand there.

So back to the wheaten coloring being sex linked - does that mean the gender of the chicks can be told when they feather out just by looking at their color?

feel free to use my chick pics for anything but misrepresentation.
Not the color of the down unfortunatly, just the adult feathering. For example, a silver laced breed has similar feathering in both the cock and the hen whereas wheaten looks completely different. There are no wheaten colored roosters (as in buff with straw shafting and a black tail), they appear as black breasted red.

You will get lots of good information on here regarding seramas...

You have to get them "climatized" to standing and handling. The "pose" You will see as very young chicks (in really nice ones). But whenever I have tried to get a photo of ones I don't handle much or they are standing on something they are not used to....they squish down. In the pen loose, they run around and strut all the time. I have quite a few little ones right now that I am watching as they have really shown some potential. To just stand there and pose, you do need to train them, to stand there.

Ok so how do you train them? And when do you start this?

Quote: others will have to pipe in onthis one....but my guess. Handle them as much as possible to get them aclimated to being handled. Put them on a table with a piece of carpet. Set them there....they fly off...put them back....continue until they quit flying of....some walking around is okay (for TT) - if you have a kid who is fitting and showing they cannot move around. Want to have control of the animal. Most of that is just by getting them used to being handled. There are photos people have on here of birds in a round wire cage on the table. Not sure if this is a training tool or what. I am still learning myself. But they do have to be used to be being picked up, turned over, handled, carried, etc. When? I would say whenever you can. Bumble has been handled since Day 1.

Ok I will start handling more. My daughter is only 4 but turns 5 in Feburary So I don't know if she will be able to do 4-H this next year or if its another year after that. But she is slightly scared of chickens and having a little one that is hers maybe will get her so she is not so scared of them. I put this one in her lap and she pets it and its pretty calm.

Back
Top Bottom