American serama thread!

Ok I will start handling more. My daughter is only 4 but turns 5 in Feburary So I don't know if she will be able to do 4-H this next year or if its another year after that. But she is slightly scared of chickens and having a little one that is hers maybe will get her so she is not so scared of them. I put this one in her lap and she pets it and its pretty calm.
I believe she can start 4-H anytime as a cloverbud and becomes a full member at age seven (could be wrong). I do know cloverbuds technically aren't allowed to handle the animals at 4-H events. They never used to inforce the rule but apparently they do now.

So back to the wheaten coloring being sex linked - does that mean the gender of the chicks can be told when they feather out just by looking at their color?

feel free to use my chick pics for anything but misrepresentation.
Maybe. Not a lot of wheaten Serama flocks are breeding true, but if you have chicks that you know are good wheaties, the boy's feathers start to grow in darker than the girls'. I used to have a good photo of a pair, but I can't find it. Not a foolproof method of identification, but it's a good tool to help guessing sooner.

I believe she can start 4-H anytime as a cloverbud and becomes a full member at age seven (could be wrong). I do know cloverbuds technically aren't allowed to handle the animals at 4-H events. They never used to inforce the rule but apparently they do now.
Here they have to be 5 by january to start, but each club may be different.

Ok I will start handling more. My daughter is only 4 but turns 5 in Feburary So I don't know if she will be able to do 4-H this next year or if its another year after that. But she is slightly scared of chickens and having a little one that is hers maybe will get her so she is not so scared of them. I put this one in her lap and she pets it and its pretty calm.
My recommendation - handle the bird as much as possible. When you feel it is very calm and used to being touched, handled, manipulated...let your daughter begin to touch him. I don't remember the age requirements, but let her do what she is comfortable with. Teach her parts and colors and her specific breed - just as you would the alphabet or a new word and how to read that word - you know what I mean. I labeled the dog, cat, dad, lamp, floor, door, etc for my daughter to learn her "sight" words. Let your daughter do at her own pace. but YOU keep handlling the bird. Let her know that SHE is boss. SHE gets to tell the bird what it can and cannot do (within reason of course and with supervision).

These are of course only my own opinions - this is how my daughter and I went through a very similar process. Good luck. I wish the best of interest/luck with this...my daughter sure had a good time with it. Good luck. Keep in touch.

So back to the wheaten coloring being sex linked - does that mean the gender of the chicks can be told when they feather out just by looking at their color?

feel free to use my chick pics for anything but misrepresentation.

Thank you very much this will help a few of my friends to look and see what is the chick down to this color ..

Maybe. Not a lot of wheaten Serama flocks are breeding true, but if you have chicks that you know are good wheaties, the boy's feathers start to grow in darker than the girls'. I used to have a good photo of a pair, but I can't find it. Not a foolproof method of identification, but it's a good tool to help guessing sooner.
exactly what I am looking at ! I have 3 shades actually but two are obviously lighter than the other. the darkest is black markings on light background, the lighter ones are obviously brown markings on light but the light background on these two is more of a creamy carmel color rather than the yellow white color. HE acts like a rooster already too. oh yeah and the pendulum swung back and forth.....

Back
Top Bottom