???AMERICANA???

Luneytunes1960

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
A YEAR AGO, I BOUGHT A BUNCH OF CHICKS FROM ASLIN FINCH. TEN OF THEM WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ARAUCANAS. SO THEY SAID. THEY ARE NOT ACCORDING TO THE PICTURES I HAVE SEEN. NOW I DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE AMERICANAS OR EASTER EGGERS. I GUESS I SHOULD NOT COMPLAIN CAUSE THEY DO LAY LOTS OF DELICIOUS EGGS. HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE AN AMERICANA FROM AN EASTER EGGER. I CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE. !!!! HEEEEEELLLLLLLPP !!!!

There are many different Threads on this forum that will help you determine what your chickens are.
I'm not going to go into great detail because I'm sure someone else can do it MUCH better, however...this is copied from the Americauna Breeders Page (and belongs to them)

What are the major differences between Ameraucana and Araucana chickens?
Both breeds lay eggs with shells colored various shades of blue, have pea combs, and should have red earlobes. Beyond that few similarities exist in specimens meeting the requirements of recognized poultry standards. Perhaps 99 percent of chickens sold as Araucanas (or Ameraucanas) by commercial hatcheries are actually mongrels (aka Easter Egg chickens), meeting the requirements of neither breed.
According to the American Poultry Association (APA), the Araucana breed must be rumpless (no tail) and have ear tufts. Ear tufts are clumps of feathers growing from small tabs of skin usually found at or near the region of the ear openings. This feature is unique in the U.S. to the Araucana breed. This trait is nearly always lethal to unhatched chicks when inherited from both parents. Tufted Araucanas, therefore, are always genetically impure, i.e., they don't breed true and will always produce a percentage of "clean-faced" offspring.
The Ameraucana breed, on the other hand, has a tail and sports muffs and beard in the facial area. These characteristics are true-breeding.

What are Easter Egg chickens?
The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

Americana’s, americaunas, or if it has an I in it then it’s an EE. Ameraucanas have specific coloring, blue legs, muffs and beard, a perfect pea comb (not modified) and light skin on their underfoot. This is my pure black ameraucana,
A8284AC5-ED5A-4967-A56E-505DF3F82632.jpeg

This is my friends EE, notice the non-specific coloring and small muffs and comb. She also has green legs. They also lay green, blue, pink, brown or really any color egg.
345B0B3B-0F88-47AC-9635-46F06E2A60AC.jpeg

Araucanas can have tufts and no tufts. They are rumpless (no tail) they lay blue. Both breeds are about $20 a chick if they’re pure. I don’t have a pic of them.

Back
Top Bottom