Americanas not laying.

Dian15

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2021
We got 8 baby chicks of different breeds in the end of June. 5 of our chickens are laying eggs but our 3 Americanas have not laid any eggs. Will they wait until spring?

Maybe, or you may get a blue egg tomorrow. I once had some Ameraucana that did not lay their first egg until 9 months of age and that was in the first week of December. You can see from my profile I'm in North America so that was the dead of winter. I did not supplement lights either. But some of their daughters were laying right at 5 months so it wasn't just heredity. I don't know what was going on but I was really happy to get a blue egg. Yours are certainly going to be from a different breeder so heredity will be different.

I can't tell you when the first will start to lay, just sympathize with you because I've been through that wait too. It may be when the days have gotten even longer or it could be tomorrow.

Are you sure they are not laying and hiding a nest on you? If you look at the vent of one that is laying it should be soft and moist. The vent of a pullet or hen that is not laying will be tight and dry. When you see it the difference is obvious. You might take a flashlight to the coop tonight, take a few off of the roost and check the vents. It won't start them laying but may tell you if any of them are.

Maybe, or you may get a blue egg tomorrow. I once had some Ameraucana that did not lay their first egg until 9 months of age and that was in the first week of December. You can see from my profile I'm in North America so that was the dead of winter. I did not supplement lights either. But some of their daughters were laying right at 5 months so it wasn't just heredity. I don't know what was going on but I was really happy to get a blue egg. Yours are certainly going to be from a different breeder so heredity will be different.

I can't tell you when the first will start to lay, just sympathize with you because I've been through that wait too. It may be when the days have gotten even longer or it could be tomorrow.

Are you sure they are not laying and hiding a nest on you? If you look at the vent of one that is laying it should be soft and moist. The vent of a pullet or hen that is not laying will be tight and dry. When you see it the difference is obvious. You might take a flashlight to the coop tonight, take a few off of the roost and check the vents. It won't start them laying but may tell you if any of them are.
Last May I purchased 5 chickens of different breeds. My Americano, Kramer, is a delightful silly bird that did not lay her first egg until last week. It was a beautiful blue-green egg. I live in the northwest and we’ve had temps from -1 to high of 34. I didn’t think she’d lay an egg until spring but now I’m getting one every 3-4 days.

Are you positive?
There's a chance you have Easter Eggers and not true Ameraucanas(frequent occurance).
EE's can lay blue or green or brown or pink.

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
You may be completely correct. When I purchased her from the feed store she was labeled an Americano. As a first time chicken momma I had no idea. This is a picture of her.
Regardless, I named her Kramer and it’s so appropriate. Thankfully the other chickens help her during her schizophrenic episodes.

Attachments

• 9ADA64F6-634D-4522-9BA8-F14F70C17075.jpeg
    9ADA64F6-634D-4522-9BA8-F14F70C17075.jpeg
    835.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 79610BE5-B3CD-426B-8F31-3878A6E0011B.jpeg
    79610BE5-B3CD-426B-8F31-3878A6E0011B.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom