Apr 30, 2018
Tooele, UT
Hi All!

I have a 3 1/2 old Americauna that within the last 24 hours has gone "Rooster". I have read other posts here and have come to the conclusion she is exerting dominance. She lays beautiful greenish-blue eggs and have had her for so many years, that there is no confusion about sex.

Yesterday morning, when collecting eggs from their nesting boxes and cleaning the roost tray, I noticed A LOT of white feathers...I only have two girls that are white: one being the same breed Americauna; the other a Swedish Flower.

I went out to check up on the two white ones and saw that my Swedish Flower had lost several of her feathers, especially around the tail. Then I noticed the blood around her face. Her waddle had been torn. No sooner than noticing this, my Americauna attacked my Swedish Flower, holding her wing in the beak with a death grip. I broke up the situation and my Americauna had her heckles full-blown out, puffed up and flapping her wings and several times went into full-blown rooster crows. She was very mad and agitated so observed for the rest of the day. My other girls didn't want to be near her and my Swedish Flower stayed very far away from the whole flock for the rest of the day.

Now, this is my question...we have a brooding breaker in the run for any girl that goes broody, and last night when all of the girls were settled in on the roost for the night, my husband and I pulled the Americauna from the roost and put her in the broody buster. We also inspected our Swedish Flower more closely to make sure that she didn't have any other injuries and only saw it was her waddle that was torn. Since I have never experienced this kind of behavior, I thought separation, for the time being, would be best. I don't want any more injuries, especially knowing that any trace of blood can be a whole other problem.

Is it O.K. to separate? Has anyone done this before (i.e. separation)? If so, how long? I'm in unchartered territory here...thanks for any input.

I have "timed out" 2 of my hens for over pecking another bird. usually for 1-2 weeks. both times I put them in with my rooster (who is always separated from my flock). after a few days of their back feathers being torn out, they were normal hens again.
all in all, it is ok to separate.

Back
Top Bottom