Americauna not laying for a LONG time

cksellars

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Hi everyone! I'm wondering if any of you had this experience. I have an Americauna that is a little over a year old. She started laying at 5 months in the fall and stopped in May. I haven't seen an egg since. She did have a bare bottom for a while, but it has grown back. Would you think it is unusual to molt for so long?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Lots of things can cause a bird to not lay from some illness, stress, worms, mites or lice, molting, bad diet, all kinds of things. Stop by this thread and do some reading. You can even post here if you have more questions...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Good luck and I hope you can figure this out soon!

Have you seen others in your flock pecking at her feathers? Or a randy rooster paying too much attention to her? Have you checked her for lice/mites, worms, anything that might disrupt her laying?

We regularly check the chicks and they all seem very healthy. No rooster. The other two chickens, a Barred Rock and a Buff are laying great. It's so weird. :-(

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, it is odd for a young hen to quit laying for that long in the summer. If you give her a good going over, check her abdomen and how it feels, you might want to compare her condition to one of the other hens that is laying normally and see if you notice anything different. Hope she starts laying again soon.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good advice by the other members so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hen laying again soon.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom