1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amerikanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 20, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol! made you look![​IMG]
    I do know how to spell Ameraucanas but wanted to get an experts attention. lol
    ok, so I realize that my AM's are not true to breed, not show bird quality and . . . gasp . . . from a hatchery; I had no idea about any of the issues when I bought them, but have since learned a lot. My question is this, of my lovely Am fakers that came from Xtreme in Texas; one has turned out to be rumpless! Do you think this is a throw back to early days or would they really be breeding in Araucanas? Her "beard" goes from ear to ear. Are there other rumpless breeds that may have been crossed in to produce this? Just curious. Thanks in advance!
    Katy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Let's see a pic of your rumpless amerikana. [​IMG]

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I gotta admit; That gave me a good laugh!!! [​IMG]

I saw it and I though "Oh no...." LOL.

I agree, we need pictures. Is she truely rumpless, or have all her tailfeathers been picked out? I once bought a RIR pullet; all her tail feathers had been picked out, but i was convinced she was rumpless!!! (Although, that was when i first had chickens...)

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Here's Fancy Pants . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    my rumpless look more smooth....have you felt it? looks like the feathers are just missing [​IMG] . interesting......
    there is a way to feel for a bone, just don't know how to tell ya [​IMG]
    I'm sure Jody will help ya

6. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Quote:LOL! I saw this thread and told my husband "Oh this person is gonna hear it from an Ameraucana breeder!!" [​IMG]
    Good plan!

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    She's always been like that, hasn't lost any feathers . . . I'll go feel her butt!

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I am waiting to hear from pips&peeps here, LOL! [​IMG]

katylester, can you give us a closeup of her face? Thanks!

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree the rumpless feathers do not stop short like this hen appears. They are usually even flowing over the backside. Did you buy her as a chick or started bird? The feathers don't look picked, but almost broken off or snipped. It's hard to tell by the photo, as it's not very close. You can definitely feel the tail bone if she is tailed.

Here is a pic showing the smooth flow of the rump plumage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Her butt looks a little poochy to me to be rumpless. Im waiting for you to post again......oh the suspense! (lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by