amerucana chick with no beard

cortneymae0

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Hi all I am new so bear with me. We have 1o day old chicks and one of them has no beard. They were all hatched from the same person who I bought from when they were 5 says old. The one with no beard also has no yellow on his face like the others and is a lot bigger than the rest. I know it's probably too early to tell but he acts like a rooster. When the other run he stands in front of them and "guards" them. Could he already be showing signs of being a rooster?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. The fact that it lacks a beard and has no yellow on his face is not an indicator that it is a rooster. You have Easter Eggers as opposed to true Americaucanas, which are relatively rare and expensive and lay only blue eggs. Easter Eggers are produced by hatcheries which cross blue egg laying breeds with brown egg laying breeds to produce eggs in colors other than just blue. These hatcheries often incorrectly market these Easter Eggers under the labels Ameraucana or Araucana. Because they are hybrids, EEs will have a variety of characteristics and not all of them will have beards. The larger size and behavior might be an indicator that it is a rooster, but without seeing a picture, we can be certain of that. I you want to post a pic for us we will be happy to take a look at your Easter Egger. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on the new chicks :celebrate Raising chicks is a very rewarding experience and so much fun. Great advice there for you from Michael OShay on yiur non bearded chick.

Hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. The fact that it lacks a beard and has no yellow on his face is not an indicator that it is a rooster. You have Easter Eggers as opposed to true Americaucanas, which are relatively rare and expensive and lay only blue eggs. Easter Eggers are produced by hatcheries which cross blue egg laying breeds with brown egg laying breeds to produce eggs in colors other than just blue. These hatcheries often incorrectly market these Easter Eggers under the labels Ameraucana or Araucana. Because they are hybrids, EEs will have a variety of characteristics and not all of them will have beards. The larger size and behavior might be an indicator that it is a rooster, but without seeing a picture, we can be certain of that. I you want to post a pic for us we will be happy to take a look at your Easter Egger. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

x2 on Michael O Shay's advice. Your chicks are probably Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom