Amish coops - Are they worth the money???

I purchased a handmade harness from the Amish and 10 years later it looks like new and will probably still look like new 100 years from now. Their quality is hard to beat. I could not afford one of their coops, but if I could I would definitely go for it!
big_smile.png

I agree, I built mine without any fancy plans I guess you could call it a amish style coop. I might have 500.00 into it max for coop and run. I used some recycled materials also (metal roofing was biggest find for free.) see my BYC page.

That is all true as well, but we loose so much more to the overseas market as well, I try to buy american where ever I go and that's hard to do, esp when made in usa, but is it really? We all need to do our part in restoring the usa trades, just research it well. Since building our own house I've learned many things builders do as well to cut costs, some do, some don't, you have to consider all aspects and not take for granted the label on anything.

My coop is quite simular to this design I just drew it up by the pics I saw on the net I used good material and have less than 500 into it and it only took a few days to build would be happy to share my homemade plans complete with a cutlist you can see the coop on my page

Thanks for this discussion. I built my first coop with my family and after weeks of labor and running around trying to figure out what we needed, I am determined to have someone else build it next time around. I don't have the time, though it was a very rewarding project. I had been looking at an Amish coop and I appreciate the debate over the pros and cons as well as the ethical issues. Love this site.

Quote:
I am sorry but you can't make this statistic here justfied, because Amish are may be about 2% of the population, and from what I understand, they will not get anything out of thier community anyway.
Not that I am saying that they don't build good stuff, but you have to remember that American did build and still building way more safisticated things than barns and chicken coops, there are many airports and roads that no one but the American can build it. In addition to that like what other said there are good builders and bad builders every where you go.
And for the Price they are asking that is also normal and not very expensive if you have the $$$$, but if you are cheap like me
lol.png
then it is time for dumpstor diving.

hi - could you tell me where you purchased your pre-fab coop -- it looks just like the right size for our backyard.

Thanks
M -

Back
Top Bottom