Amish coops - Are they worth the money???

The Menonites sp? in my area make these Quaker style coops and they are, actually, quite nice. There are also electrical wiring packages and wheel options. The prices might also be much less when you actually go and speak with someone. I think it's cute.

I've been pricing around for a new coop also. Not having to put the labor into building a new coop alone is worth it to me LOL. I figure the last coop I built took at least three days to build. Besides you also need to factor in materials, gas for running to hardware store, and running back to the hardware store again because you inevitably are short on something lol and frustration. I figure $1000.00 is worth it if its soundly built.

Just make sure the coop has everything it needs. The problem with our Amish coops is that there was no ventilation, they missed nailing half the wood so there were nails sticking out into the coop everywhere. Roosts were just solid 2x4's not filed or flipped flat. Things that could probably be reasonably fixed yourself, but we built almost the same thing for less than $200 (not including time).

I agree with what everyone has said, both the advantages and disadvantages.
smile.png

Really, the only disadvantage is the cost. If you can swing that, however, you get the advantages everyone has mentioned: supporting true craftsmen and/or the local economy, quality out the wazoo, and it can show up DONE and ready to move your stuff in!

As for ventilation, the one shown has the two windows on the front and a long drop-down vent in the back, all of which is covered with hardware cloth.

You can save a lot of money by buying a pre-cut, primed, unfinished coop kit. The panels are shipped on a pallet, ready to screw into place, roof, and paint. We bought a playhouse kit from Little Cottage Kits, years ago, back before they started making chicken coop kits. It's a great way to go if you have to get something made quickly.

Wow, that's a crazy price! Hubby built a solid insulated coop(12x5x8) and run(22x5x5) for about $250-300 using all new material. It's so much cheaper building one then buying a premade.

The Amish 6x4 coop says it holds 12-15 chickens. They'd be awfully cramped in there, especially in cold winter climates.

I'm a newb and never owned chickens before, I researched awhile on which coop to get, I live in Md
and there's lots of Amish built coops here and I know they are worth every penny very sturdy and quality built yet
also very heavy so as a first timer I decided to go pre fab and something that I could move around easily
otherwise I would have purchased the Amish coop, I figure if I fall in love with chicken keeping I can upgrade to
the larger Amish coop then.. also I can't build it myself I did a rabbit hutch years ago and lets just say it wasn't square:)
here's the pre fab I got last week so far I like it and the chicks seem happy.
003-45.jpg

CC-68_7193201_stdMYCOOP3.jpg

100_8700_7193251_stdMYCOOP2.jpg

here is the Amish coop I almost bought and probably still will when I need more space.
6x8_2coop.jpg

6x8_cc2_0coop2.jpg

I have been complaining to Dh for a few years about wanting an amish coop/shed. He said no...I'll build you one..OK so he built me something...not what I had in mind and not what I wanted it to look like but never the less an 8 x 8 coop with a 20 x 15 run for banties. It's ok
hu.gif
Now it took him weeks to make and 700$ to build. Now last week we went to a chickenstock that is surrounded by Amish. I showed my Dh their price lists.. 8 x 14 shed with window and doors---850$..Took him all of about 5 seconds to say order it! we can pick it up in a few weeks!
woot.gif
Well worth someone else building it the way I want it and at a cost less than what it would would cost us to build it! I'll be splitting it in half with 2 seperate runs for my ducks..or two more breeds of chickens...or storage on one side and something on other
hu.gif
Not 100% sure yet
lau.gif

It's up to you..I've seen many places advertise amish coops/sheds and they looked cheezy. when I saw them building these building with my own two eyes and the craftsmanship in each one..I knew they were the place to order from!

Last edited:
not sure what that has to do with anything? each company is different some are good others are not
I also think it depends on where you live in the country whether something was truley built by the Amish
or the company is just labeling it Amish built. example: I wounldn't buy an Amish built coop thats shipped from China:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom