Amish paste

Yes, one of my favorite tomatoes. I don't grow them on a trellis, just stick it in the ground the old fashioned way. I love Amish Paste for salsa and sauce.

Anyone grown these yet? I plan on growing 50 plants for me/daughter and neighbor to can sauce and salsa. I an thinking about a Florida weave trellis, 6' stakes every 5 plants or so. I'm figuring they grow up and grow back down.

I am just wnting to hear if anyone else has experience growing these yet.
That's the only ones we grow for juice. They make a denser sauce than regular tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are similar in end result. They are amazing for sauce because it takes less time to boil out the extra water. Of course this changes with the weather they are grown in-- wetter, more water, less flavor; dryer, less water, more flavor. I've never tried that kind of trellis with a tomato plant, so can't help with that.

How tall/long are yours growing. I am getting varying result on google searches.

I see 3' - 4' and 6' - 7' and just indeterminate which my Cherries grow higher than I can reach and I am 5-10 and can reach over 7'

How tall/long are yours growing. I am getting varying result on google searches.

I see 3' - 4' and 6' - 7' and just indeterminate which my Cherries grow higher than I can reach and I am 5-10 and can reach over 7'
Ours usually grow 3-4 ft but we either grow them on the ground or in tomato cages, so I have no idea how high they'd grow if held up. They are more of a bush than a tree so they'd need support if you want them to grow high. They'd prob grow as high as whatever you stake with, then droop back down.

Amish Paste Tomatoes... oh, how do I looooove theeee!!

The attached picture is of one of my first ripe tomatoes last year. I saved the seeds from this one to plant next year. Most of them are not this big. :gig

I like them to eat fresh, but most of them are for canning. A friend introduced me to these; she uses them for making her awesome salsa.

They are indeterminate, meaning, they keep growing and producing until frost kills them. I am trying several other varieties next year that are determinant, so I have enough to can a lot all at once. AP get big enough to pull over a tomato cage, so I've taken to staking and caging to keep them upright.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom