Ammonia smell in nose?

hensforhan

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Ever since we've had our chickens I've noticed the occasional smell of ammonia in my nose. It's not obvious when I'm actually cleaning them out however 10 minutes later or so it will just appear, last a while and go away. I spot clean them everyday and do a full change around once a week so I can't begin to think why it's so prominent?

Firstly, does anyone else experience this smell in their nose? Is it just something that comes with having chickens?

Next, What can I do to stop the ammonia smell? Like I said, I'm constantly cleaning them. Should I be doing more??

TIA!

Any time you have waste and moisture you will have an ammonia smell.

Enough ventilation is important for exactly this reason. I personally use deep litter method to allow it to dry out faster. Combined with plenty of ventilation, I don't get the ammonia smell until about 7-8 weeks of not cleaning coop. I shovel out and replace litter.

I'd say a whiff is a warning sign to look at ventilation. Walk in, close the door and wait ten minutes. If you get ammonia smell, so do your chickens.

Any time you have waste and moisture you will have an ammonia smell.

Enough ventilation is important for exactly this reason. I personally use deep litter method to allow it to dry out faster. Combined with plenty of ventilation, I don't get the ammonia smell until about 7-8 weeks of not cleaning coop. I shovel out and replace litter.

I'd say a whiff is a warning sign to look at ventilation. Walk in, close the door and wait ten minutes. If you get ammonia smell, so do your chickens.

Thank you for your reply! We've been having horrible weather at the moment so whilst they're out the coop I haven't been opening it as much. Whilst the weather is OK I will keep all doors open throughout the day and hopefully that will help. Thanks again !

Bedding too damp. Either ventilation not good enough, water is condensing somewhere or being spilled, etc.
Good shout... I'll check it out tomorrow. I don't keep water in there but the chickens may be making the bedding wet throughout the day. Thank you for your reply!

Thank you for your reply! We've been having horrible weather at the moment so whilst they're out the coop I haven't been opening it as much. Whilst the weather is OK I will keep all doors open throughout the day and hopefully that will help. Thanks again !
They need ventilation 24 hours a day. Don't worry about cold (unless it's well below freezing) Just allow for plenty of draft free ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom