Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
Im stocking my chicken first aid kit and was looking for a powder to stop bleeding, like kwik stop but without the benzocaine. I found one but i wasnt sure if one of the ingredients was safe. I couldnt easily find any information through google so hoping some experts on here may know.

Its Ingredients: bentonite, diatomaceous earth, ammonium chloride
20230409_192959.jpg

Last edited:
I have small birds and they would easily overdose on benzocaine. Although i wouldnt use it on my chickens either just to be safe
I have small.ones too and have used it on them. The "caine" thing is a misinformation that starter here on BYC.

I have small.ones too and have used it on them. The "caine" thing is a misinformation that starter here on BYC.
I learnt it from my avian vet when i was getting my bird treated for bumblefoot awhile back :hmm plus there are alternatives so why not be on the safe side

I learnt it from my avian vet when i was getting my bird treated for bumblefoot awhile back :hmm plus there are alternatives so why not be on the safe side
All I can say is that I can point you to the thread that started the misinformation and that there are no credible sources saying the using products containing "caines" is dangerous.

All I can say is that I can point you to the thread that started the misinformation and that there are no credible sources saying the using products containing "caines" is dangerous.
I think the stigma starts with injectable local pain relief such as lidocaine, can find alot of information about that one specifically. But yes cant find anything about topicals. But honestly will go with what a vet says reguardless XD plus its not like the vet told me its toxic she just said dont use things with this *insert a bunch of medicine names* or be safe and just avoid caine based ingredients lol

I think the stigma starts with injectable local pain relief such as lidocaine, can find alot of information about that one specifically. But yes cant find anything about topicals. But honestly will go with what a vet says reguardless XD plus its not like the vet told me its toxic she just said dont use things with this *insert a bunch of medicine names* or be safe and just avoid caine based ingredients lol
Near as in an tell, it all started here, on BYC,Bwhen a member said their rooster died after Neosporin with pain relief was applied. Since then, we've had many discussions about this, and many people keep perpetuating the misinformation.

But if your vet says not to use it, the don't, and ask them if the product you're looking at is safe.

Near as in an tell, it all started here, on BYC,Bwhen a member said their rooster died after Neosporin with pain relief was applied. Since then, we've had many discussions about this, and many people keep perpetuating the misinformation.

But if your vet says not to use it, the don't, and ask them if the product you're looking at is safe.
I found this might help with future discussions. Table 1 covers some locals.

From sciencedirect.com

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S003257911955204X-main.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom