Amoxicillin and chickens

Pics
I have been Using aqua-mox ( 500mg capsules of fish amoxicillin) to treat 2 of my chickens for 4 days now. Talking with the Georgia state poultry lab vet, he says that 125mg/kg 2x a day is too high which is what I was doing based on the info above. He says that it’s 5mg-10mg per lb of body weight every 12 hours is the correct dosage. I’m not sure what to do. Can anyone advise why these amounts are so different?
I do not know the answer to why those dosages were specified for chickens.
I know that I was given amoxicillin in the past and the dosage worked out to be 2.5 mg per pound or 1.14mg per kg, twice per day.
The dosage for chicken is about 100 times that of human?
That seems not reasonable, but on the other hand, if others had used that dosage and it caused no known negative side effects than It is likely safe.

I have a nine month old buff Orpington that has a cough. I decided to give it human antibiotics as opposed to culling it. I separated it and have been dosing it with 50 mg of amoxicillin per day for the last five days. so far I have seen a marked improvement to the frequency of coughing. I am curious about using the eggs from this chicken.
I have been told DO NOT eat eggs from a chicken on antibiotics but I do not understand why. 250 or 500 mg of amoxicillin can't hurt anyone. It's not like the hen is taking the medicine and making poison out of it so what's the deal? These pills were prescribed to me "just in case" after a root canal and I never needed them, but if I had, the instructions were to take 3 500mg capsules a day. How can the remnants of 50mg a day be an issue? Thanks!!
I have a nine month old buff Orpington that has a cough. I decided to give it human antibiotics as opposed to culling it. I separated it and have been dosing it with 50 mg of amoxicillin per day for the last five days. so far I have seen a marked improvement to the frequency of coughing. I am curious about using the eggs from this chicken.
I have been told DO NOT eat eggs from a chicken on antibiotics but I do not understand why. 250 or 500 mg of amoxicillin can't hurt anyone. It's not like the hen is taking the medicine and making poison out of it so what's the deal? These pills were prescribed to me "just in case" after a root canal and I never needed them, but if I had, the instructions were to take 3 500mg capsules a day. How can the remnants of 50mg a day be an issue? Thanks!!
hello. you gave it 50 mg per kg of weight or just dosed 50 mg without weighing the bird. Im trying to find a dosage for it per weight

I think the amoxicillin dose for chickens is 125mg/kg twice a day or 100mg/kg three times a day. 1kg = 2.2 pounds, so unless your bird is small, you probably aren't giving enough. :D

-Kathy
hello. where did you get that information from. Im reading sooooooo many different dosages my brain hurts
lol!

hello. where did you get that information from. Im reading sooooooo many different dosages my brain hurts
lol!
I can tell you that even though the dosage sounds extremely high, I used it on my young rooster and it worked.
I remember giving him 250mg twice a day.
He was probably 5 pounds.

When I was prescribed Amoxiccilin, it was 500mg twice per day. I am about 200 lbs.
So I am about 40 times the size and only get twice the dosage. Sounds crazy, but he healed and is still with me.

Dose of amoxicillin I most often use for my chickens is 57 mg per pound of body weight, twice a day.
Many times birds get much higher doses per pound, it has to do with the speed they metabolize it, much faster than we do, or most mammals do.

Back
Top Bottom