Amoxicillin for respiratory problem?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Have a youngish chick here with breathing problems. Sometimes she makes loud wheezy sounds and when I hold her next to my ear I hear a sound I can only describe as "wet". Like there's moisture where there shouldn't be? Sorry can't be descriptive! She's also got a sore, watery eye. I suspect she got pecked...
I've got some amoxicillin here that I can give her. is that O.K. or should I get her something else? We don't have a huge variety of poultry medicine available locally, but I can get some from my doctor.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try looking up chronic respiratory disease on the search here. Separate from other birds. Vitamins and electrolytes. Hope it works out.

What kind of amoxicillin do you have?

Caps, tablets... what dosage????

most of those dosages are for HUGE human beings.

if you have tablets, you'd need to crush it into powder and then only give a little bit in water and you'd need to squirt it right in the mouth.

Same is true of the caps... you'd just need to undo the cap, put a little bit of the poweder with a tad of water and put it right in the chickens mouth.

Good luck.

Thanks, got "powder for suspension", which they've mixed with water for me when I got it. 125mg amoxycillin/5ml. Hope it works! I've diluted it with more water and gave her a bit and will give her a bit more later and so on. Got some soluble vitamins and electrolytes for poultry also that I can add to their water.

Back
Top Bottom