amoxicillin vs penicillin

wleigh1021

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2016
New Jersey
I posted a thread last week about some nasty infections my chicken has. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/infection-or-tumor.1287341/

I suspect she was attacked by a hawk as I found a dead chicken in the yard and saw what I think is a cooper's hawk in the yard. Unfortunately I missed the wounds when looking her over and only noticed them when they were severely infected.

I've been giving her epsom salt baths, applying triple antibiotic ointment 3x day, and giving her tylan 50 orally 3x/day (1 ML) for the past 5 days with little to no improvement. I picked up penicillin and amoxicillin today. I read that amoxicillin can decrease the effectiveness of penicillin so I plan on giving her 1/2 cc penicillin 1x day along with soaking and ointment. I will try to peel back the scabs to get the ointment to penetrate better. If this method shows no improvement after 3 days I will probably switch to amoxicillin. Unfortunately I am going away soon and my neighbor will be left of the burden of caring for her and it will be easier for her to feed the amoxicillin.

Anyone have any input as to whether or not this is a good plan?

Can you post where you read about the penicillin reducing effectiveness of amoxicillin? Amoxicillin is a synthetic penicillin, and is usually a much better drug, since penicillin has developed a lot of resistance in bacteria. Any antibiotic you use should treat the particular bacteria. Amoxicillin is good for wounds that have staphylococcus. There are types of staph that is resistant to plain penicillin, but sensitive to amoxicillin. Many use penicillin G since it is available without a prescription in feed stores. But between the two drugs, I would use the amoxicillin.

Dosage can vary depending on the source you read. Usually 10 mg per pound daily is a minimum dosage, and 25 mg per pound is the maximum dose. I would divide the dose in half and give half in the morning, and half in the evening. If you have 250 mg tablets or capsules, I would divide in half and give it twice a day.

Tetracyclines are a different sort of antibiotic than amoxicillin. It has lost some of it’s effectiveness by bacterial resistance, just as penicllin has. Amoxicillin is better against those things. Chickens are frequently given tetracyclines since they are good to treat mycoplasma and some intestinal infections.

I gave her the amoxicillin about an hour ago in some scrambled egg. She gobbled it right up! Will continue 2x day 1/2 capsule. fingers crossed!

I was just exchanging posts with Casportpony, and looking in Plumbs Veterinary Handbook, and they recommend 57 mg per pound twice a day. If she is 5 pounds, that would be 250mg twice a day. I get so confused with all of the different amoxicillin dosages listed online for chickens.
Edited:
Here we go again. The dosage is 57 mg per pound twice a day. So that is roughly 250 mg twice a day for a 5 pound chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom