Amputation of Pekin Leg?

I agree with you completely. My boyfriend looks at Sally and says there’s no reason to put her down. But the x-ray shows that she’s developed this horrible bone infection that can lead to sepsis which is a terrible way to die. That’s why the vet has recommended euthanizing her. I had another girlfriend say that when birds or ducks, chickens show symptoms, it’s often too late to do anything about it. They are good at hiding disease. And so that is my dilemma; do I euthanize her to save her from sepsis or do I hope and pray for a miracle that the infection can be fought with oral antibiotics? It’s a quandary because she is such a happy duck. I want to hold out hope. And I have her loyal mate, Harry, who is by her side at all times. What will I do with Harry and his grief? It is difficult to say the least.:hit🦤
If it is affordable for you and the vet confirms it is possible and worth it, amputation of the infected limb may be the way to go. It’s true that birds often show symptoms late but that doesn’t mean it’s always TOO late to help them. Heck I brought my hen back to full health even after the vet told me there was no chance of survival. Many things are possible.

Do you have any other avian veterinary clinics that might offer additional services near you?
The closest avian vet is about three hours away. I'm thinking that maybe I could call them and send them her x-ray for someone there to consult on. I think I will go ahead and do that. Meanwhile, Sally is being her normal happy self.

If it is affordable for you and the vet confirms it is possible and worth it, amputation of the infected limb may be the way to go. It’s true that birds often show symptoms late but that doesn’t mean it’s always TOO late to help them. Heck I brought my hen back to full health even after the vet told me there was no chance of survival. Many things are possible.
That is how I feel about Sally. She is such a strong duck. I don't see her giving up, so why should I? Thank you for your words of encouragement. We're on the same page!

Back
Top Bottom