an abandoned egg

cathy65bear

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2018
Hey all.

My Hen hatched 1 chick that we found the other night, freezing cold and not moving. This one we brought back to life after 30 minutes of hand warming and is now 3 days old and thriving.

Next we found an egg that was missing 1/8th of its shell, but the membrane was intact. The hen was picking at it and there was blood on the membrane, so I brought it in. I didn't realize it needed moister, and it died. When we looked inside, the yolk sac was still there with a jelled green area on it. I figure it has an infection.

We candled the rest of the eggs and found only one other that has a chick in it.

Now, she is not sitting all day. The egg is cold. We just brought it in, put it in a box with a heating pad covering it. The temp is 97' inside the box. What do I do? Do I rotate it? put moisture in it somehow? We really would like our chick, Lazarus, to has a sibling.

- thanks!

I’m kind of in the same boat... not really. I had a hen sitting on 8 eggs. Yesterday one started to pip and I was so excited! The egg was moving all over! Got home froM work, no chick, and no shell... all gone! So today I checked this am but couldn’t tell much cause mama was sitting on the eggs. Came home this evening and only 6 eggs left!!! I have an incubator, but I don’t think it works correctly! I’m wondering how to save these eggs!

The one chick that is alive is in a box with a heating lamp, in my kitchen.

what to do with her over the winter.

But 1st, she needs her sibling to hatch.

Hey all.

My Hen hatched 1 chick that we found the other night, freezing cold and not moving. This one we brought back to life after 30 minutes of hand warming and is now 3 days old and thriving.

Next we found an egg that was missing 1/8th of its shell, but the membrane was intact. The hen was picking at it and there was blood on the membrane, so I brought it in. I didn't realize it needed moister, and it died. When we looked inside, the yolk sac was still there with a jelled green area on it. I figure it has an infection.

We candled the rest of the eggs and found only one other that has a chick in it.

Now, she is not sitting all day. The egg is cold. We just brought it in, put it in a box with a heating pad covering it. The temp is 97' inside the box. What do I do? Do I rotate it? put moisture in it somehow? We really would like our chick, Lazarus, to has a sibling.

- thanks!
Congratulations on the hatch!

The green on the yolk is an infection. It is hard to say if it happened before death though.

Since they are hatching, you do not likely need to turn the eggs. Check with your local Ag Extension to see if they have an incubator you can borrow. 97 is a bit low and you need 65 to 70% humidity. That is not common in a house

Back
Top Bottom