An attack waiting to happen. Stupid dog!

I'd so love to respond to your excellent points.....but when I sat here and formulated an answer it got so long winded that I was afraid I'd be hijacking the entire thread, not to mention sounding like I was patting myself on the back for my success with training! Who has time for that?
caf.gif

I do! And I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Provided it has useful info, who cares if someone thinks it sounds like you're patting yourself on the back? Other people's perceptions are kinda irrelevant to the facts of the matter.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not though...?

I've done a heck of a lot of searching for training methods and philosophies over the years and tried many out but obviously didn't find they worked with that one dog; I've since seen that his sort of mentality is not uncommon at all.

I've done great with some animals and not great with others, I don't have a problem admitting there's a lot I need to learn, I'm always looking for more information. Unfortunately it is often people repeating the same old info I already know off by heart, which has worked for them and which works for most dogs, but doesn't work when applied to this sort of dog which I am very close to believing is a lost cause, a waste of time.

Best wishes.

Wanna pat each others back Blooie? Sorry it got so long, I even cut it short. If the dog has basic training it still knows it, it is the owner that fails then, You can never stop training a dog and never accept anything less than 100% obedience from a dog. Even little things have to be corrected as they occur. That said I fail at that sometimes, but I really try not to. The dogs seem to know when their is company here I will not "yell" at them as much....Dang Dogs are way too smart.

Can you elaborate on how you'd deal with a dog that will disobey no matter what? Don't know if you've ever owned one of those, but there's not an awful lot you can do to wring 100% obedience out of such dogs, well, not anything ethical and humane anyway, in terms of options left.

You think your alpha pup is stubborn --- I don't think you've owned dogs as stubborn as some I've known. If you can still get a majority percentage of obedience out of them, that's not really thoroughly stubborn.

Most people tend to think highly of their training skills until they meet the dog that 'just won't' --- old-timers tend to send those off to be put down or be pampered lawn ornaments with nothing except existence required of them. There's two kinds of motorbike riders, as they say, those who have fallen off and those who will. ;)

Best wishes.

My dog is a 50 lb husky/retriever mix and does varmint control in the backyard so I do not want to even try to remove her prey drive.

She has never shown any overt aggression towards the chickens. The chickens stay in their run. I have not seen the dog stare at the chickens hungrily through the hardware cloth. When we go into the run, the dog wants to follow us and sometimes we let her but we keep a watchful eye on her. My dog is much more interested in snarfing up the spilled chicken feed (including scratch!) rather than what the chickens are doing. I sometimes feed chicken feed to the dog with one hand and to the chickens with my other hand. That way the dog sees that she is getting the same food as the chickens and so hopefully thinks that chickens are part of her pack and will hopefully not eat them and again hopefully defend them from predators if the need arises.

I am also not sure that a dog sniffing a chicken's butt is a bad sign as that is how dogs greet each other. It does matter HOW a dog sniffs a butt. Is it with respect or is it with aggression?

I still do not trust her to attack them when I am not looking.

Hey LIChickens my dog sniffs the butt of the chickens like greeting another dog, I know she is not sizing them up, but I just want her to know the chickens are completely off limits. I also do not want to end my dogs drives for prey, I hunt pheasants over them. I just like to reinforce every chance I can that chickens are a no-no.

Crooks4life: It all depends on the dog, I would not start by having it want to please me, I would start by showing the dog it is in its own best selfish interest to obey.

Start with something easy like teaching the "sit" command. Hold a piece of food in front and above the dogs nose and move your hand towards the dogs tail while saying sit. The dog will follow the food, sitting in the process. Praise the dog and feed her the treat immediately. Do this over and over many times a day. The dog will soon associate the word sit with food. If the dog wants to turn to follow the food, place her in a "squeeze chute" so she cannot turn around.

Is the dog house broken? Kennel trained?

I would work on the word off also using a leash and a low value treat, place the treat on the floor, hold her off with the leash, when she reaches for the treat, pull her back and say OFF or leave it your choice. Use the same command every time. When you pull her off, praise her and reward her with a higher value treat.

These techniques will work, it may take time but it can be done. Any Dog can be trained, older dogs are just harder because they have so many bad habits and have learned they can do what they want. You have to be the Alpha, Dogs are pack animals by nature, they all want to be the leader, you cannot allow that to happen.

I would suggest you try a dog training program, like petsmart or some other pet store offers, they are reasonably priced and teach you to teach your dog. If you were 5000 miles closer I would love the challenge of your dog. NOW if you wanna buy me a first class ticket .......

Good luck on your dog!

I would work on a solid leave it command.

here is what I have used multiple times.

You already know that he is excited with the chicks.   Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder.  This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door.    Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc.     When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it"    If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder).  When he looks at you reward him.  

You can also teach him "watch me" the same way.   You can practice this at random times though out the day.   If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me"   When he makes eye contact, then reward him.    You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward.  Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer.   If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close.  Just back up a bit and begin again.   Eventually you will be right amongst the birds.    You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there.    I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together

I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing.   Think of it as a small child.  Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed.   Don't give him a chance to chase the birds.  Don't give him a chance to disobey.  

ETA:  The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything.   Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it?  "leave it"    See dog running toward a snake?  "leave it"     Lots of training and work, but it pays off!

dogs can easily learn to differentiate between domestic animals and wild animals. Rayden's favorite food was wild rabbits but he was safe around pet bunnies

dogs can easily learn to differentiate between domestic animals and wild animals. Rayden's favorite food was wild rabbits but he was safe around pet bunnies

this sounds like natural behavior.

Wolves will kill wolves from other packs but will defend pack members of their own pack with their life.

One of the amazing - and at times frustrating - things about Flatties is that they never grow up. There's a reason they are known as "The Peter Pan of the Dog World!" His play drive is going to be going as strong when he's 10 years old as it is now. But if there's a more training responsive breed I haven't worked with it yet. You have to make the commitment - totally - to take him in hand and you can't let one moment of inconsistency sneak in. Knowing Flatties, I can just see him, quivering and doing his quiet whimpers while he stares at your chickens!

One of the keys is learning that there is no gray here - something is either always ok or its NEVER ok. Like a small child, mixed messages mess dogs up badly. Letting him be so close to the chickens one minute and then trying to keep him away from them the next minute simply won't work. So decide.....do you want the chickens to be able to crawl all over him like they can with his sister? If you do you're probably going to be very disappointed - he is simply not his sister. Or do you want him to totally ignore the chickens? Do you hunt over him? To him a bird is a bird, so if you use him in the field you can pretty much forget having him ignore the chickens because again, something is either always ok or never ok. It can't be okay for him to quarter, flush (or point, as mine did) and then retrieve a bird in the hunting field and then expect him to turn that off in his own "field". That said, there are always exceptions. Many years ago a neighbor of mine had ducks - and they wandered over to our property all of the time because the boundary between the two of us was a creek. For some reason my Flattie ignored them when they were in the yard but would quiver and drool in the blind and break his neck to do a retrieve if we were out hunting. Go figure.

Guess I'm not being a lot of help here. Riley will kill a chicken. Period. He's a dog - a chicken is a moving target. If he's already attacked and almost killed one he'll do it again, unless you get tough and start working with him. But you can't do that until you decide what you expect of him.....and letting him jump on the pen and stare at the birds until he dozes off ain't the way to get that accomplished. Start with basic obedience - come, heel, no, sit, down and stay - and until you have that down without hesitation, and he'll obey instantly even with distractions you can't do much else. Until then it's leash and confinement away from the birds for Riley. His play drive and birdiness is typical Flatcoat and will be with him most of his life. About the only thing Flatties outgrow is their collar sizes.

Thank you so much for your reply. I agree--I don't expect him to be like his sister. I want him to entirely ignore them like he completely ignores cats--does the nervous eye thing, he knows they're there, but doesn't want to look at them. I had a 19-year-old cat, 23lbs--managed to get him to ignore all cats. He learned his own lesson with the skunks and picking fights with raccoons.

When I used to take him running, he'd tear my arm out of socket trying to dispatch the squirrels and wild rabbits back to hell.... but strangely enough doesn't mess with the show rabbits as much, possibly because they're black Netherlands dwarf rabbits and somehow different in his eyes? Kind of like your neighbor's ducks--very odd but good point. I've not taken him hunting, but that's also a good point! Thinking about it, I couldn't if I wanted to....he's really, really horrible at fetch unless it involves water. He only will chase a ball and bring it back if he gets to dive and swim for it.

I don't let him jump on the cage--he was whining when I took that picture because I was yelling at him. My 5-YO brother ran over to yell at him too. I think he thinks his name is "get down" because lately that's all we ever command him to do. You know, now that you mention it--my cousins did take him to 4H and to Lilly's therapy dog-stuff for a few months which is around the time he stopped behaving. She was teaching him some other commands, but I don't actually know what all she taught him in addition to what we taught them both as pups--I guess I should ask her.

And I entirely agree. He's going to be a pup until the day he dies....which will be soon....if he hurts my chickens.

Guess I better cut up some hotdogs and hope it sticks.

Thank you guys, for all of your suggestions. : )

Riley is housebroken. We don't do the kennel anymore since Lilly doesn't live in the house anymore--

they'd play and we'd come home and the house would be trashed. He's fine without it. They're allowed on one couch--Riley only puts his front half on the other one because he knows he isn't allowed on it. I look at him, he gives me the puppy eyes or avoids eye contact. He knows better, he's just a brat.

Just commanded the chihuahua to get down off the table and Riley let out this groan from the floor. I think he's a 15-year-old girl and giving me attitude. Maybe I should get him an iPhone so I can take it away and ground him--maybe it'll be more effective than commands.

Riley is on-leash and off-leash trained. He generally will stay within 10 feet of me when he's off-leash, in the presence of strangers, and even other dogs--especially at night, and even when we're in the fenced-in backyard. He took off after deer about two years ago, and he almost got himself killed--we haven't gone purely off-leash running in a while, but have since.

You may not believe it, but we really did have this dog trained once. He was good! Always energetic and needed to be reminded of what he was supposed to be doing, but used to listen.

Last edited:
I would suggest you try a dog training program, like petsmart or some other pet store offers, they are reasonably priced and teach you to teach your dog. If you were 5000 miles closer I would love the challenge of your dog. NOW if you wanna buy me a first class ticket .......

Good luck on your dog!

Ah, thanks, I appreciate your answer, but unfortunately that all fell into the aforementioned category of 'old stuff I've known off by heart for years' --- yes, the dog is completely and thoroughly familiar with all of the techniques you mentioned, and more; yes, housetrained and kennel trained, etc etc etc --- all the usual. No dice.

The dog training programs I have looked into before and it's all more of the same, no use with this dog. That sort of thing only works with a dog who is inclined to be reliable, to do what it's taught. Some dogs are completely self-centered, conniving, and disloyal in the extreme; nobody realizes this until they've owned or known one of those, though. I myself was once one who didn't believe they were capable of such behaviors and deceptions, until unfortunately I gained some first hand experience with that sort.

This is all dependent on and hinging on the fundamental concept of the dog choosing to obey. People verse it like you're not giving them any other options or logical alternatives but in reality if your dog doesn't choose to obey no matter what, you've got limited options left. Not all dogs work to please. Not all dogs work for the enjoyment of having a task to do, an outlet. Not all dogs work for treats. Not all dogs work for anyone other than themselves.

If you have a dog who ticks all those boxes you can repeat basic and even advanced obedience training till the cows come home and get nowhere. Mostly they will obey while you're close by, giving every appearance of a good dog. Behind your back it's another thing. They're disloyal and devious; this is why they failed as workers before becoming pets. Really they should have probably been put down, as harsh as that sounds, this is the kind of dog who's been raised with kids, pets and livestock and is good as gold to your face but chooses to bite when adults aren't around or even just have their backs turned, never any warning or vaguely 'reasonable' cause.

As the OP said, they know what's right, they're just brats. My dog doesn't need help anymore, I rehomed him after he turned on livestock he'd been raised with and never shown any aggression to previously; just like his mother, who'd be dead if she was mine, sorry. I kept his dad, the wild one, who was the only loyal one despite not having had a fraction of the training or opportunities or exposure his son and the b!tch had.

Best wishes.

Quote:
Yelling at dogs doesn't work for most, I'm sure you know that though... I used to think it worked for none, but now know that's not true. Surprisingly it's what the feral prefers and responds best to. He yells at his pups to correct them, he was two when I decided to try his own methods on him and his response showed it was a preferable correction for him, bizarrely enough. I think most domestics are pretty thoroughly inured to yelling though. Why does he whine when you yell at him? Bit odd. Depending on the circumstances, him whining and jumping up at the cage in response to being yelled at could be interpreted a few ways.

But I think you've found your main issue there, perhaps, having someone undo your training and restructure it to who knows what. I've had to deal with a well-meaning family member who shows an amazing ability to take a well trained dog and get it to behave like a completely untrained puppy, all in a matter of seconds. Some trainers call that sort the 'fun and games person' and it takes a very thorough worker mentality for your dog to resist being sent off track by them; training alone won't do it if they lack the mentality. Only some dogs can cope with a completely different set of rules being imposed on those they knew.

Why was he in therapy in the first place, if you don't mind me asking?
Quote: I believe you, lol. They do make their own choices, and change. This is what I meant about most of the advice you get being the standard training stuff... Those who've never had to deal with a purposefully disobedient dog can only tell you what worked for their willingly obedient dogs, which is all stuff we probably both know off by heart, which hasn't worked for the dogs in question. That's been my problem in trying to work on that dog, everyone thinks basic training will do it. Doesn't work for every dog.

Best wishes.

If you have a dog who ticks all those boxes you can repeat basic and even advanced obedience training till the cows come home and get nowhere. Mostly they will obey while you're close by, giving every appearance of a good dog. Behind your back it's another thing. They're disloyal and devious; this is why they failed as workers before becoming pets. Really they should have probably been put down, as harsh as that sounds, this is the kind of dog who's been raised with kids, pets and livestock and is good as gold to your face but chooses to bite when adults aren't around or even just have their backs turned, never any warning or vaguely 'reasonable' cause.
Is that not the very definition of a wild animal (versus a domesticated one).

On the other hand, you may be describing a cat in dog's clothing.

Back
Top Bottom