1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An attempt at re-homing my Polish roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zengrrl, Jun 20, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I'm here in Michigan and have had absolutely no luck trying to find my roo a home. I've posted him on Craigslist a few times, posted him on here without a hit. I'm new to my area but I've noticed several homes/farms with flocks of chickens (hard to believe they're so strict!) Would I be out of line to go up to a house, knock on the door and ask if they have any use for a roo? Honestly I'm starting to get desperate. If all else fails its a 3 hour drive to take him back where I got him but I'd like to find somewhere closer. Would you be offended by a knock at your door?

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    I doubt you should go knocking on doors. People may consider that soliciting.

Keep posting on Craigslist and add photos. You'll get far more replies if you have photos on hand. If that doesn't work, I guess you could try an animal shelter or asking friends if they want him.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Try putting up a note with a pic in the local feed stores. What color is he? Not that I can get to your neck of the woods:)

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Alot of people say no to Polish right away for various reasons. They truly are an acquired taste. May I ask why you're trying to rehome the fella?

On the other hand, would I be offended if you knocked on my door? No, not at all. We live in a pretty friendly area (think 'rural suburbia) where neighbors we've never met give away ducklings and neighbors we have come to visit our 'petting zoo'. It's a little odd to have people come up to your door and offer a rooster, but people here would usually not get offended. They'd either decline with a polite tone or perhaps accept. That said, Polish roosters are still roosters and still Polish.

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Before I got mine I started trying to figure out what to do with any Roos I got....
    Found a lady who runs a petting zoo and was thrilled to have top hat roosters... Says the kids love to hear them crow and love the crests and feathered legs.

She has agreed to take all my Polish and Silkie Roos.

Just a thought.

6. zengrrl

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Oddly enough I posted my roo at the hospital where I work at and what'd ya know, he went to join a local flock. So happy for him!

7. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:Kewl! I was just going to ask if you posted him on the Michigan thread. [​IMG] Come and join us!

8. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Glad you found him a home. I almost contacted you and I was gonna make the trip. [​IMG]

9. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad to read that you found your roo a new home - was feeling very sorry for the guy!

10. zengrrl

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I was contemplating going door to door and asking anyone if they were missing their roo as I found this one......but no need!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by