An egg a day--do any chickens do this all the time?

But also, I just read something in the forum here about putting food dye on their vents which will color the eggs for a bit and let you know who's laying. That sounds like a good way to know which birds to cull.

What novelty?My Leghorns have been laying since mid July.I still find it amazing every day I go out and collect up to 2 eggs daily. Now when the other girls get busy I will be oh so more amazed and can't wait to say what am I going to do with all these eggs? Why we are just getting into the baking season and I have a few friends that would be steady customers for my organic eggs...Can't wait....
celebrate.gif

Quote:
If they are close friends you could wind up with Egg on you face and a colorful pecker face.. ;0)

The ISA Browns we bought this spring are starting out to be wonderful layers.. exceeding my expectations.

I have 47 hens at laying age and I gather 40-43 eggs a day.

I thank my God for such a productive bread...!

Last edited:
My Red SLs lay like it's a cult or a religion of theirs. 1 a day or you're out of their club I guess
tongue.png
Even my EE is caught up in the spirit of things and lays almost daily.

All hail the glorious egg! *puts on tinfoil robes*

I have two Golden Comets who have never missed a day since they started laying. I keep thinking they should at least take a day off, especially since we have some other girls laying now, but they are definitely the over-achievers of our flock!

I have a California White, that has given me an egg every single day for several weeks...I know, because she is my only white egg layer....

You might also look to how heavy your birds are....I've found that birds with excess fat around their vents and reproductive organs do not lay regularly. Usually, a slender, fit bird of RIR breed should be laying every day in the first year of sexual maturity and in peak season.

Of course, YMMV.

I have two, golden comets, and two black stars, each of which lay every day for the last two months. Thy are you and of course that helps their production.

Back
Top Bottom