An egg that didn't break! Yay!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arret, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Arret

Arret Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Pacific Rain Forest
    Just want to celebrate my 2yr old red rock Brave laying the first egg strong enough not to break under her butt as soon as she laid it. She started laying for me three weeks ago, and has been laying paper thin eggs. They are slowly getting stronger due to her diet of yogurt, greens, crushed eggshell and oystershell etc. but you can see the wide end is still very thin, it is dented in the picture, just from me picking it up. But the shells used to be thin as wet brown paper, so this egg gives me hope. Way to go, Brave!

[​IMG]

2. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have an EE pullet that does the same thing and she's been laying for about 3 months now.
    They are very much like the one in the picture only blue. Most days they break and on good days they are just dented.
    I've been giving egg shells and ground oyster shell but they just aren't firming up. All my other girls lay good strong eggs.
    I'm hoping she'll outgrow it. SIGH!

3. Don't grind up the oyster shell- the larger the calcium particle, the longer it stays in the intestinal tract, which is a GOOD thing. [​IMG] Try that for a while and see if it makes a difference- and the please let us know!!

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here are some things for you to consider.

If you add Apple cider vinegar to their drinking water, at the rate of 1Tablespoon to 1gallon of water, it will help the chicken absorb the calcium that she ingests. The vinegar helps to create the pH in the chicken's digestive tract that is conducive to ther absorbing the calciu.

Make sure that your chicken gets enough vitamin D3, The vitamin D family is the Sunsihine vitamin. Maybe where you are in the pacific northwest, the cloud cover and rain make it more difficult for your chickens to get enough D. -- You can buy chicken vitamins at TSC, and on line. The chicken vitamins can be put in the water too---so you could take one day a week and put vitamins in the water instead of vinegar.

Good luck with the egg shells!

5. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have been giving ACV for about a week now. However they free range and drink puddle water all day so they don't get much of the ACV water. When I finally figure out which hen it is I will isolate her and give her extra calcium, ACV and even the vitamin D. All the other hens lay fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by