An egg within an egg x5! Help!

EggGoBragh16

Hatching
Feb 11, 2020
Ok so my newly laying hen has laid five eggs so far and every single one has been a thin walled egg within an egg, sometimes I find them broken on the floor. Today I got confirmation when she laid in her box and I could get a better look at it. She lays every other day, and on off days makes a lot of noise like she’s trying to lay and never does. I know this is probably the egg coming down and trying to pass and then doesn’t, so that makes sense… I am more looking for advice as to how to prevent this and or get her into a normal laying pattern. Has anyone had this happen this many times in a row to their chicken? If so does it just work itself out? Should I stop freaking out? I am most worried about her getting egg bound. TIA!

Attachments

• 0CB44C28-ACCA-4DE9-A8DD-D0D83E7440BC.jpeg
    0CB44C28-ACCA-4DE9-A8DD-D0D83E7440BC.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 31
It's typically a rare occurrence and I have yet to get one myself but I do occasionally get a new layer that is the overachiever. My most recent was a Marans hen (new layer) who's eggs kept getting larger and larger to the point where I was getting really concerned and all were double yolkers too. All I can say is that she did grow out of it and lays normally now. Hopefully that will be the same case with yours! Here's also a link about what's happening with your hen, if you're interested.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/eggs-meat/how-a-chicken-lays-an-egg-inside-of-an-egg/
1581503793609.png

1581503803401.png

I know this is probably the egg coming down and trying to pass and then doesn’t, so that makes sense
Yep, Counter peristalsis.
Fully shelled egg backs up in tract and gets more membrane and albumen, then moves back down and get a bit more shelling.
Is there any yolk between the thick 'inner' shell and thin 'outer' shell?
Usually a one off, hopefully it stops with a bit of time for the system to get synced up.

We just had a similar issue this morning but the outer egg was soft shell and the inner hard. All the girls are a bit off this week. We have had hot (high 90’s low 100’s) with unusually high humidity. Almost lost one to heat exhaustion. I don’t recall the girls going off their laying with the heat last year. We have added extra water, cold treats and a bucket of ice every day.

Back
Top Bottom