An event that I wish my wife had been there to video

SaltyOldDog

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
My wife loves to take pictures and videos of our Black Marans Chickens. Too bad she was being a "slugger bed" as she missed an ideal opportunity.

Some background info: I'm disabled so have a tough time doing a lot of the stuff needed for my chickens. I don't let that stop me I "gitter done" anyways with a few exceptions. One of the morning chores is letting the girls out of the coop (one of those integrated coops with a "foraging yard" under it) so they can go out to their run. My wife wraps it every night with a pair of dog excersize pens for anti-predator defense removing them is a tough go for me. This morning I only peeled back enough to open both doors and allow me to open the access door as well.

Part of my morning routine is distributing their morning treats which they very much look forward to. I scatter the oatmeal and raisins I've brought out and count beaks. One is missing. Odd... they are missing out on the favorite part of the day. I quickly determine #2 in the pecking order "Patty" is the missing one. Even more odd.

I open the access door and look in. Patty in in the nesting box closest to me. She looks at me and gets up turning around with her hind end towards me and in a few (maybe 15) seconds lays an egg.

That I thought was funny enough. My morning would have been complete right there.

Then she comes over to me, puts her face near mine and starts singing the egg song. (pretty loud for that close to my ear) I respond by in my squeekiest voice yelling "YAYYYY GOOD GIRL." Turning her head toward me she sings the next stanza of the egg song (sounds just like the first) and every time I responded she did it again. She ran out of the coop and stood next to me looking at the other chickens and kept singing as long as I "sang" with her.

Not at all a behavior I expected.

My wife loves to take pictures and videos of our Black Marans Chickens. Too bad she was being a "slugger bed" as she missed an ideal opportunity.

Some background info: I'm disabled so have a tough time doing a lot of the stuff needed for my chickens. I don't let that stop me I "gitter done" anyways with a few exceptions. One of the morning chores is letting the girls out of the coop (one of those integrated coops with a "foraging yard" under it) so they can go out to their run. My wife wraps it every night with a pair of dog excersize pens for anti-predator defense removing them is a tough go for me. This morning I only peeled back enough to open both doors and allow me to open the access door as well.

Part of my morning routine is distributing their morning treats which they very much look forward to. I scatter the oatmeal and raisins I've brought out and count beaks. One is missing. Odd... they are missing out on the favorite part of the day. I quickly determine #2 in the pecking order "Patty" is the missing one. Even more odd.

I open the access door and look in. Patty in in the nesting box closest to me. She looks at me and gets up turning around with her hind end towards me and in a few (maybe 15) seconds lays an egg.

That I thought was funny enough. My morning would have been complete right there.

Then she comes over to me, puts her face near mine and starts singing the egg song. (pretty loud for that close to my ear) I respond by in my squeekiest voice yelling "YAYYYY GOOD GIRL." Turning her head toward me she sings the next stanza of the egg song (sounds just like the first) and every time I responded she did it again. She ran out of the coop and stood next to me looking at the other chickens and kept singing as long as I "sang" with her.

Not at all a behavior I expected.
That's very special!

Back
Top Bottom