An exciting thing happened to me!!!

Grand-hen-ma

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Hudson Florida
I am a city girl turned country. My grand kids were with me today and we were sitting in with the chickens, we like watching them and petting them, and one of the chickens jumped up on my lap and wanted me to pet her. Another one of my girls sits beside me and laid an egg! It was the first one we were able to witness! Then the chicken on my lap laid an egg right in my hand!!!

I know this might sound silly to most everyone in here but my chickens are an extension of my pet/family. They all have names and they all run to me when they see me coming. They love it when I gently rub over their ear holes. I know I'm nuts but I have a great time with my girls and so do my grand kids.

And it was like when one laid an egg it triggered something in the others and they too laid eggs. I have 5 today, 6 yesterday and 6 two days before that.

Anyway I just wanted to share my excitement with all of you.

Have a great day.

Hugs from Hudson, Florida

That was cool!!
big_smile.png
One of my hens jumped up on my lap the other day for the first time. It makes you feel special, doesnt it??

Your girls must really love and trust you to lay for you like that. How neat!

ETA- And you dont sound silly- at least, not to us here at BYC, we love those kinds of stories!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your eggs and the intimate way your girls gave them to you!
celebrate.gif
Welcome to the world of chicken mania- I think I can speak for many others on this forum that we are all a little bit "chicken crazy" but what a wonderful thing to be called nuts about!
big_smile.png
My grandkids love to visit with my girls too and the first thing they do when they come over is run out to see the chickens- check the nest boxes- then sit down on an upside down bucket with a towel on their lap and "wait" for visitors- ha. They love the girls and the girls love them

I loved reading this and am cheering for you. I'd be jumping with excitement too!!! How cool and sweet.
My 6 week old girls still shy away so I'm working on using a softer voice and announcing to them what I'm doing before I pick them up. Also trying to teach my 3 1/2 year old to do the same thing! Not expecting much, but she'll get it eventually. Anyway, I can only hope for something like that to happen for us down the road.
Sounds like you're having a blast! I'm new to chickens and this post is encouraging.
Thanks!

Thank you all of you for your reply. I truly had no idea I was going to be so chicken-nuts. Being a city girl I used to pass by chickens and think they were just dumb birds. Oh how wrong I was!!! I love all my animals and have bonds with each of them, but my chickens, they are the coolest of them all!

When my grand kids are there and the girls have eggs and we collect them, I tell the kids to thank the girls for their gift. At first the kids thought I was crazy to say that. But after watching the girls lay eggs and see what they go through, the kids understand and they too, thank the girls. And I also encourage the kids to be gentle and speak softly and move slowly.

I am so pleased to have found BYC.

welcome-byc.gif
Collette and what a great story! Ours are too little to be laying but we can't wait to go on our first "egg hunt."
wee.gif
:weee
We have chickens in the city of Binghamton, and they are a riot.

Back
Top Bottom